Kiewit Corporation Human Resources Specialist - Site in Vancouver, British Columbia
Human Resources Specialist - Site
Date: Nov 17, 2018
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Requisition ID: 76521
Do you want to put your entrepreneurial spirit to work and help a business evolve its Human Resources function? Do you have a passion around driving continuous improvement to your company’s people programs? If so, our team is looking for you. We’re looking for someone that’s wired to drive people attraction, retention and development programs. We value employees who are willing to roll up their sleeves and jump into action. With world-class projects located throughout North America there are limitless opportunities for you to develop your HR career. Here at Kiewit, you will have the opportunity to build your skills while working on iconic construction projects that shape communities and lives around us. We work in scenic and geographically diverse locations and are seeking those who strive for more responsibilities and aren’t afraid to go where the work takes them.
This position will report to the HR Business Partner and work closely with project leadership teams. Primary responsibility will be to ensure HR execution and performance for the assigned projects. You’ll act as a liaison with HR Shared Services to ensure the delivery of support to exceed internal client needs, while leading various projects and initiatives as determined in the annual planning cycle. As a Site HR Specialist, you will need to establish a strong partnership with operational leaders and enjoy working in the fast-paced world of construction.
One of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. We relocate our teams based on the work that is available, combined with the development plans, skill sets and career goals of each team member. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom-designed to meet our shared needs.
• HR Functional Support
o Support the development of HR related strategies and ensure implementation and execution
o Leverage internal HR practices, process, trends and data points to drive enhancements
o Serve as a change agent by influencing key stakeholders in support of organizational needs
o Act as a liaison with HR Shared Services to ensure the delivery of support to exceed internal client needs
o Supervise local administrative staff (if applicable)
• Site HR Program Execution
o Lead an effective on-boarding process to ensure consistent messaging across the organization
o Partner with Employee Relations or Labor Relations in support of site HR concerns
o Support recruitment strategies and execution including workforce planning, staffing schedules and hiring
o Lead project development efforts to ensure all project staff are receiving proper training and experiences
o Drive execution of employee performance programs and expectations to maximize workforce productivity
o Leverage HR dashboards, reports and data to drive business decisions and tactics
o Monitor workforce engagement for trends that require action to ensure high employee morale and retention
o Plan, organize, direct and coordinate the personnel and labor relations activities of the project
o Participate on the labor-management committees, manage the grievance process, and proactively develop strong working relationships with Union representatives.
• This position requires an HR professional who can strike a balance between strategy and execution
• 1 to 3 years’ experience of progressive HR experience with experience in multiple human resource disciplines
• Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
• Ability to influence individuals and groups to gain buy-in and acceptance of HR programs and tools
• Proven ability to take initiative and build strong and productive personal relationships
• Sound business acumen and analytical skills
• Ability to work varying schedules in support of site operational needs. This may include occasional night or weekend work
• Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
• Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
• Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
• Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
• Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
• Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail
Other common names for this role : HR Advisor, HR Coordinator
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row
• Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between
• RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province’s guidelines
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
Job Segment: Chemical Research, Engineer, HR, Employee Relations, Wastewater, Engineering, Human Resources