Kiewit Corporation Traction Power Engineer - MECT - Seattle in Seattle, Washington
Traction Power Engineer - MECT - Seattle
Date: Jan 13, 2020
Location: Seattle, WA, US
Requisition ID: 88000
Mass Electric Construction Company:
Mass Electric Construction Co. is a subsidiary of the Kiewit Corporation. Since our founding in 1928 in Boston, Massachusetts, Mass. Electric Construction’s philosophy has been to pursue electrical projects that require a higher level of technical and logistical skill. MEC-Transportation has a 55-year tradition of outstanding performance on some of the nation’s most high-profile transportation projects. To date we have completed over $3 billion of transportation projects nationwide. With our skilled and dedicated personnel, combined with cutting edge installation methods and project controls, MEC is setting new standards across every aspect of the market.
MEC-Transportation has projects in cities all across the US, so our people must be willing to go where the work is. Job assignment location will be determined closer to your start date. Our operations include:
• Signal systems
• Overhead contact systems
• Traction power
• Communication systems
• The goal of traction power design and construction is to deliver a fully integrated system that meets clients’ long-range needs while providing maximum return on invested capital. Each component must be expertly designed and constructed, and all traction power system components must function together as a smoothly operating whole.
• Each phase of the project from detailed design through manufacturing, factory testing, and field commissioning must be well coordinated and scheduled to ensure the traction power system is delivered to the project schedule that is agreed with the client.
• We are looking for a Traction Power Engineer who can assist our Project Managers who delivery traction power projects to various clients in North America in supporting these goals.
• The Traction Power Engineer will report to the Rail Electrification Group Manager while supporting our Project Managers on a day-by-day basis in successfully delivering traction power substation projects.
• The Traction Power Engineer supports multiple projects across North America and take responsibility to coordinate designs, contract requirement deliverables and vendor and testing activities.
• Project Design and Procurement Phase:
Analyze technical specifications and drawings with the ability to perform constructability reviews and determine the scope of work and support the estimating team in preparing take-offs.
Identify and describe technical issues in the specifications and drawings and prepare requests for information to the client or the client’s engineer
• Project Implementation Phase
Analyze specifications and drawings and keep track of changes through document and change register.
Review the specifications and identify requirements for engineering deliverables, including type (for example design submittal, test report, or record drawing) and due date.
Maintain the data base for contract deliverables (Contract Deliverables Requirement List – CDRL).
Prepare engineering submittals in accordance with the technical specifications; obtain information vendors and engineers to prepare a full, comprehensive and timely submittal package.
Provide regular reports on the status of submittals and alter Project Managers of issues or potential delays.
Assist the Project Manager in coordinating with vendors and engineering consultants
Assist during factory production and field testing; visit suppliers or construction site if necessary.
Prepare project closeout submittals, including As Built drawings and Operation and Maintenance Manuals. Coordinate documentation from various equipment vendors into seamless document.
This position requires a candidate who has the ability to work in a technical project environment and communicate effectively with clients, suppliers and internal or external engineers, to successfully support the Project Managers in delivering traction power projects.
Strong analytical, problem solving and communication skills
Experience in the electrical power industry, preferably in areas such as traction power substations or utility medium voltage distribution.
Must have experience in working in technical project environment.
Must be skilled in the review of drawings, specifications and preparation of technical documents.
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2018 revenues of $9 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 20,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Job Segment: Engineer, Construction, Manufacturing Engineer, Electrical, Procurement, Engineering, Operations