Kiewit Corporation Safety Coordinator - Kiewit Bridge and Marine District in Seattle, Washington
Safety Coordinator - Kiewit Bridge and Marine District
Date: Dec 23, 2018
Location: Seattle, WA, US
Requisition ID: 76654
Are you passionate about safety and ensuring everyone is working in a safe condition and environment? How about doing so while working for one of the largest contractors in North America, with an opportunity to become a shareholder in the company? At Kiewit, one of our guiding principles on infrastructure projects and in every office is, “Nobody Gets Hurt” and we’re currently looking for a Safety Manager to create, support and audit our program and to continue reinforcing our commitment to safety.
Our mission is to make a difference and we offer opportunities for you to make one too through our construction operations. Whether we’re boring tunnels through mountains, turning rivers into energy or building bridges that connect communities, we depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-obsessed construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we offer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we offer fast-paced excitement and fulfillment you won’t find anywhere else.
Kiewit’s Bridge & Marine District headquartered in Vancouver, Washington, operates with heavy civil, marine, and industrial capabilities across North America. We are a leader in technical and traditional bridges, bridge like structures, marine structures, and dredge work. Kiewit Bridge & Marine is also the foremost constructor of floating bridges across the United States. If you want to build iconic bridges, this is the district for you!
We currently have work all across the country in large cities and small towns, so our people must be willing to go where the work is. Job assignment location will be determined closer to your start date. Must be able to travel and relocate as business requires. Some of our current projects locations include, Florida, Washington, Oregon, California, Texas, New York, New Jersey, Iowa, and Alaska.
• Supporting the company environmental health and safety program for a project and driving a safety-oriented approach to work.
• Compiling, analyzing, and interpreting occupational illness and accident statistical data; recommending process and product safety features that will reduce employee exposure to chemical, physical, and biological work hazards.
• Routinely inspecting the facilities, machinery, and safety equipment in order to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance.
• Routinely monitoring the workforce for unsafe behaviors and coach employees on the correct behaviors when observed
• Supporting the development of environmental health and safety training materials to include manuals, brochures, PowerPoint presentations etc.
• Developing a paperwork management system to track training records to track all safety training initiatives conducted personally or by outside consultants/vendors.
• Interpreting safety regulations for our major infrastructure projects
• Coordinating and presenting safety training to support client requirements including new hire orientation, fall protection, confined space, lockout/tagout and repertory.
• Interfacing with Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) (Provincial or federal) officials/inspectors in the event or a site visit.
• Degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Safety, or a related field of study (Optional)
• 2 – 5 years of experience in the construction on large infrastructure projects
• Knowledge of OSHA regulations and hazard recognition, record keeping and injury management skills
• CPR/First Aid, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification and OSHA/MSHA instructor certifications are preferred
• Working knowledge of computers and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
• Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
• Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
• Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
• Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
• Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment
• Ability to travel and relocate as business requires
• Ability to work in the United States without sponsorship, both now and in the future
Other common names for this role: Safety Supervisor, Safety Officer, Safety Advisor
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built in to every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different:
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Consistently recognized as one of the best places to work in North America and in 2015, named one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from day one of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Job Segment: Engineer, Wastewater, Water Treatment, Compliance, Manager, Engineering, Legal, Management