Kiewit Corporation Fire Sprinkler Design Intern (Summer 2019) - Continental Fire Sprinkler District in Omaha, Nebraska
Fire Sprinkler Design Intern (Summer 2019) - Continental Fire Sprinkler District
Date: Feb 9, 2019
Location: Omaha, NE, US
Requisition ID: 78873
If you have a passion for creating safe environments and want to be hands-on when it comes to the preparation of drawings and learning to prepare fire sprinkler system designs, then the Continental Fire Sprinkler Design Intern Program is the right fit for you!
Our mission is to make a difference and we offer opportunities for you to make one too through our construction operations. Whether we’re boring tunnels through mountains, turning rivers into energy or building bridges that connect communities, we depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-obsessed construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we offer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we offer fast-paced excitement and fulfillment you won’t find anywhere else.
District Overview Continental Fire Sprinkler Company is a full-service fire suppression company that designs, installs, services and inspects fire protection systems. With talented people and extensive resources, Continental Fire Sprinkler Company has completed a wide range of projects within 46 different states throughout the nation since 1971. Our headquarters are in Omaha, NE, with area offices in Davenport, IA; Des Moines, IA; and Glen Burnie, MD. We pride ourselves on developing top-notch people into the managers and leaders of the future. Our success is evidenced by the number of successful, long-term Continental employees. We commit extensive resources to training and developing our people through formal programs and hands-on experience. Our experienced personnel, use of innovative technology and genuine dedication to customer service has established us as a trusted source for fire protection services.
This internship will be based out of our Omaha, NE office.
• Assist in compiling and preparing plan submittals (shop drawings) and material submittals for review by architects, engineers, clients, and authorities having jurisdiction.
• Communicate with Sales, Estimating and other departments to optimize design efficiency for fabrication and installation of systems.
• Prepare and maintain spreadsheets, checklists, and training documents for Design and Project Management.
• Other job duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or GED
-- Preference will be given to candidates currently enrolled in a college curriculum program in Engineering or Construction Management.
• CAD familiarity is a plus.
• Ability to travel and relocate as the business requires (25%-50%)
• Able to read engineer/design, architectural, and structural blueprints.
• Fundamental understanding of general construction methods, practices, and terminology.
• High level of self-discipline, motivation, and ability to operate in a team environment.
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in a wide-ranging climates and environments
• Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
• Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
• Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
• Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
• Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
• Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail
Other common names for this role: Design Engineer Intern, Fire Sprinkler Intern, Design Engineer Internship, Fire Sprinkler Internship
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development
• Internships are a great opportunity to explore many different specialty construction and engineering areas within Kiewit and get important hands-on experience
• Our interns have meaningful relations to the industry's top talent for guidance, and have significant responsibilities in real-world areas of the Kiewit organization
• Our long-standing internship program has launched many Kiewit careers, including our Chairman and CEO’s
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Omaha
Nearest Secondary Market: Council Bluffs
Job Segment: Intern, Engineer, Drafting, CAD, Fabrication, Entry Level, Engineering, Manufacturing