Kiewit Corporation Civil/Structural Design Engineer - Kiewit Underground in Omaha, Nebraska
Date: Mar 14, 2018
Location: Omaha, NE, US
Requisition ID: 72501
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Consistently recognized as one of the best places to work in North America and in 2015, named one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from day one of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
• Analyze and design structural systems and devices for underground and deep foundations construction including support of excavation, false work, form work, fall protection systems and life lines, below the hook lifting devices and rigging, working surfaces for equipment, and rebar cage handling.
• Development of innovative design solutions.
• Prepare design calculations and specifications.
• Prepare structural engineering designs, including layout, design sketches, and design concepts.
• Ensure design deliverables are prepared compliant with industry codes and standards, contract requirements, and company standards.
• Develop schedules and work assignments to ensure successful project completion.
• Coordinate with other drafters, designers and engineers assigned to the project or a task, and reviews work progress and results.
• Cost estimation to determine final material, labor and subcontractor costs to be used in the creation of a proposal (quantity take-offs, vendor coordination/pricing).
• Assist with all other activities as requested by the Engineering Manager.
• Significant interface with a number of on-going construction projects across the United States and Canada
• Develops drawings, design and work flow documentation
• Identify, brainstorm, scheme, coordinate and refine temporary engineering systems and devices in the construction industry
• Perform inspection of fabrication and in-service systems and devices
• Mentor, train, and develop junior team members
• Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with an emphasis on structural design
• 10+ years experience in Structural Engineering and drawing creation
• Professional Engineering (PE) license
• Proficiency and experience with AISC Steel Manual, ACI 318, NDS, and ASCE 7
• Design experience with structural steel, concrete, foundations, and timber required
• Knowledge of STAAD Pro required
• Proficiency and experience with Excel spreadsheet formulas and advanced tools required; programming VBA preferred
• Experience with AutoCAD required
• Verifiable exposure to successful construction projects, solid understanding of construction techniques and means and methods a plus
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site, including underground, in wide-ranging climates and environments
• Knowledge of construction safety and current federal, OSHA and MSHA requirements
• Fast-paced office environment; must be able to interact professionally with all levels of management while simultaneously manage a diversified workload and challenging situations efficiently and effectively; regularly sit, stand, walk and talk and listen; occasionally lift and move up objects up to 30 pounds.
• Travel in the U.S. and internationally (5-15%).
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Omaha
Nearest Secondary Market: Council Bluffs
Job Segment: Civil Engineer, Chemical Research, Engineer, Construction, Design Engineer, Engineering