Kiewit Corporation Senior Geotechnical Engineer in Oakville, Ontario
Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Date: Jan 8, 2019
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
Requisition ID: 77003
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Infrastructure Design Department, which includes structural, geotechnical, civil, drainage, roadway, transit, and materials disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the design-build delivery of infrastructure projects.
We are an innovative team of design engineers that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff leads and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. Kiewit’s culture encourages training, developing your skills, and tailoring your experience and knowledge to allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers is seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer responsible for technical engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation’s business across the Canada. The primary duties of this engineer will include geotechnical engineering efforts in support of infrastructure transportation design-build projects in the proposal stage or following award. As, such, a strong technical background and excellent communication skills as well as an ability to work well in a team environment are considered critical to this position.
The Senior Geotechnical Engineer will work with an interdisciplinary team that includes structural, roadway, drainage and materials engineers as well as estimators, schedulers and other construction professionals to identify geotechnical engineering problems and develop appropriate solutions. The Senior Geotechnical Engineer will be responsible for overseeing the production and/or review of engineering reports, geotechnical analyses, and directing the work of staff geotechnical engineers in our growing offices in Laval (QC), Oakville (ONT) and Burnaby (BC).
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• The Senior Geotechnical Engineer is responsible for technical engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation business
• Project support during the proposal/bid phase working with various team members to identify and evaluate innovative and cost-effective design solutions to geotechnical problems and challenges
• Working with the pursuit team to help identify key design risks and develop plans to mitigate these risks
• Working on design-build projects as the Engineer-of-Record responsible for developing design recommendations and producing design deliverables
• Support efforts to capture and spread lessons learned throughout the districts
• Train and develop staff engineers
• This position requires travel to project offices and work sites. Ability to travel 25% of the time.
• Master’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering or equivalent experience is required
• 11+ years of relevant geotechnical engineering experience, 15+ preferred
• Registration as a Professional Engineer in Canada
• Strong all-around knowledge of geotechnical engineering and technical solutions to geotechnical issues
• Preferred experience includes design of deep foundations, shallow foundations, evaluating slope stability, seismic engineering, retaining wall design, earth retention, rock mechanics, settlement of compressible soils, ground improvement techniques, support of excavation and dewatering
• Experience working in a team setting and directing/reviewing the work of others
• Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
• Strong people skills and an ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment
• Design-Build experience, preferred
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row
• Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between
• RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province’s guidelines
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
Job Segment: Geotechnical Engineering, Construction, Engineer, Geology, Transportation, Engineering