Kiewit Corporation Mid-Level Geotechnical Engineer in Oakville, Ontario
Mid-Level Geotechnical Engineer
Date: Feb 1, 2019
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
Requisition ID: 75324
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Infrastructure Design Department, which includes structural, geotechnical, civil, drainage, roadway, transit, and materials disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the design-build delivery of infrastructure projects.
We are an innovative team of design engineers that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff leads and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. Kiewit’s culture encourages training, developing your skills, and tailoring your experience and knowledge to allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building RRSP plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers is seeking a Mid-Level Geotechnical Engineer for our Construction Engineering Services (CES) in the Oakville, ON office. Looking for the ideal candidate to have the ability to grow within the team. The Geotechnical Engineer should have at least 5 years’ experience in engineering plan production, be technically advanced and familiar with current technical tools/programs/software, and codes.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• Work on an interdisciplinary team including structural engineers, estimators, schedulers and construction experts to provide advice on construction methodology, geotechnical risk, and the design of temporary and permanent works.
• Produce engineering reports and detailed calculation packages summarizing each engineering assessment.
• Provide geotechnical support during bid-phase to help identify geotechnical risks and develop mitigation plans and innovative solutions.
• Perform calculations, finite element modeling, and geotechnical designs as well as ensure accuracy of the design drawings.
• Produce quantities and cost estimates.
• Have the knowledge and ability to analyze and design according to codes, design criteria, and geotechnical theories.
• Capable of transferring geotechnical design and ideas to construction drawings.
• Help identify design risks and assist with risk mitigation planning.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering; Master’s degree or PhD in Geotechnical Engineering preferred
• 5-10 years post-graduate experience experience with support of excavation, earth retention, slope stability, rock mechanics, soft soils, seismic loading conditions, ground improvement, deep and shallow foundations, dewatering is an asset.
• Design-Build experience is preferred
• Strong all-around academic knowledge of geotechnical engineering
• Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with individuals at all levels of the organization
• Have or be eligible for P.Eng. Registration
• Ability to travel/TDY assignments and/or relocate based on business needs
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments
• Ability to travel to project sites and/or relocate based on business needs
• Bilingual French/English preferred
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built in to every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row
• Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between
• RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province’s guidelines
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
Job Segment: Geotechnical Engineering, Construction, Engineer, Geology, Transportation, Engineering