Kiewit Corporation Systems Engineer - LRT Controls and Communications in New York City, New York
Systems Engineer - LRT Controls and Communications
Date: Feb 6, 2019
Location: New York City, NY, US
Requisition ID: 71781
Mass. Electric Construction Co. is a subsidiary of Kiewit Corporation. Based in Dallas, Texas, our transit service includes signalization, overhead contact systems, traction power and communications systems for clients nationwide.
The goal of rail transit design and construction is to produce fully integrated systems that meet clients’ long-range needs while delivering maximum return on invested capital. Each component must be expertly designed and constructed, and all system components must function together as a smoothly operating whole. We are looking for the person that can assist our operational leaders in supporting this mission.
The Systems Engineer will report to the Technical Systems Integration Group Manager or applicable Project Management while providing top-level support to the MEC Transportation District Leadership Team and Operational Managers.
• Understand contract requirements and ability to concisely summarize, effectively communicate and support pursuit team with developing plan for implementation
• Cost effective development of pre-bid engineering needs for construction estimate basis
• Ability to evaluate and propose alternative and compliant technology solutions which provide competitive advantage
• Identify, quantify, manage risk – performance based and technical requirements
• Assess potential outside design consultants and provide guidance for teaming subcontracting arrangements as well as evaluate estimated design costs
• Technical proposal – develop narrative in response to technical system questions / criteria
• Evaluate, design and implement systems to support and enhance business operations
• Coordinate and serve as a liaison between MEC Staff and outside engineers / consultants
• Provide on-going design management over-site to jobsites across North America. This would include collaborating with both the designer and suppliers as needed
• Conduct engineering reviews to identify efficiencies that can be achieved or resolve foreseeable technical issues.
• Provide technical assistance in product selection and comparing material cost to constructability costs for a holistic view of the total installed cost
• Review manufacturing test procedure and witness factory acceptance tests
• Review field testing procedures and help ensure jobsites successfully deliver systems to clients.
This position requires an industry veteran who has the unique ability to develop effective relationships with Front-Line Operations while still executing and achieving our global design management initiatives.
• Strong analytical, problem solving and communication skills
• Ability to perform or competently manage Load Flow Study (Traction power system), Block design (Train Control and Communications systems) or design cantilever allocations (OCS).
• Must be skilled in the preparation of drawings, specifications and cost estimates and should have the capability and experience to manage projects and lead a group of engineers in support of the construction schedule.
• PE registration is desirable, but not essential.
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Manhattan
Nearest Secondary Market: New York City
Job Segment: Controls Engineer, Communications, Construction, Manufacturing Engineer, Engineer, Engineering, Marketing