Kiewit Corporation Field/Office Engineer Fall 2019 Co-Op - Mass. Electric Construction - Industrial in Massachusetts
Field/Office Engineer Fall 2019 Co-Op - Mass. Electric Construction - Industrial
Date: Jun 20, 2019
Location: MA, US
Requisition ID: 80532
Kiewit's Mass. Electric Construction-Industrial group is currently seeking Field/Office Engineer for their Fall 2019 co-op program! This will be a full-time internship position that substitutes a semester of school. Kiewit self performs much of the work done, so be ready to get on a project and get your hands dirty! We are looking for people committed to the construction industry and not design.
An Co-Op/Intern position with Kiewit provides a hands-on learning experience directly related to the skills needed in a full-time construction career. You will have the opportunity to develop, participate and learn key roles and functions within construction management. As a Field/Office Engineer Intern you will be introduced to a variety of office and field activities as well as estimating in order to develop your understanding of construction. You can expect to spend time learning and working on shop drawings, submittals, schedules, take offs, pay requests, contract changes, and project documentation. While learning these things you will have the opportunity to travel the country building complex projects that make a profound impact on communities.
Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial (MEC) is a Kiewit Subsidiary and one of the nation's premier electrical contractors. We are a leader in providing complex and large-scale electrical construction and maintenance services. Our markets include those in renewables, power, transmission & distribution, water/wastewater, life sciences, data center, communications & ITS, security, transit/light rail and traction power across North America. We focus on Safety - Nobody Gets Hurt - and exceeding client expectations by meeting or beating project schedules and budgets.
Our program is designed to expose students to various aspects of an electrical specialty contractor. Students will be teamed with a sponsor who will monitor, coach, and be available to answer questions. When circumstances allow, students will be rotated through different departments and functions including field engineering and estimating to gain an understanding of different aspects of the electrical contracting business. Some tasks include, but are not limited to developing work plans, quality monitoring and tracking, field installation sketches, material take-offs/pricing and preparation of estimates for bid submission. Co-ops/Interns who are living away from school and home will be provided housing subsistence in addition to an hourly wage.
We are a company that goes where the work is, which means a career with us can take you and your family to exciting parts of North America – and maybe even beyond. MEC Industrial is based out of Waltham, MA and has work all across the country. Job assignment location will be determined closer to your start date. Must be able to travel and relocate as frequently as business needs require. These projects are happening in large cities and small towns, so you have a chance to experience it all!
• Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in construction management, construction engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical, engineering, engineering technology or related engineering fields
• Minimum overall GPA of 2.7
• Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Effective verbal, written and presentation skills
• Able to work independently as well as part of a team
• Must be able to access all points of a construction site
• Willing to travel and relocate on an as needed basis; nationwide
• Able to drive a company vehicle to perform job duties
• Able to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future for employment
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2018 revenues of $9 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 20,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development
• Internships are a great opportunity to explore many different specialty construction and engineering areas within Kiewit and get important hands-on experience
• Our interns have meaningful relations to the industry's top talent for guidance, and have significant responsibilities in real-world areas of the Kiewit organization
• Our long-standing internship program has launched many Kiewit careers, including our Chairman and CEO’s
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Job Segment: Construction, Engineer, Industrial, Electrical, Intern, Engineering, Manufacturing, Entry Level