Kiewit Corporation Sr. Transmission Engineer in Lenexa, Kansas
Sr. Transmission Engineer
Date: Jun 29, 2019
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 79126
• Design 69kV to 765kV transmission lines utilizing PLS-CADD.
• Oversee preparation of transmission line design criteria, calculations, specifications and deliverables using industry, client and department standards.
• Model and analyze transmission line structures utilizing PLS-Pole and Tower for existing and new lattice towers, tubular steel poles, concrete poles, H-frames, wood poles, etc.
• Design and analyze transmission foundations for various foundation types including reinforced concrete caissons, direct embedment, piles, spread footings, and grillages.
• Prepare designs for assigned structures including research, system selection, analysis, and drawing preparation on projects ranging from small to large in size and complexity.
• Prepare geotechnical specifications, and oversee and review proposals and work for associated vendors. Interpret geotechnical reports for use in optimized and reliable foundation design.
• Prepare structural specifications, and oversee and review proposals and work for structure vendors. Review vendor calculations, design, detail and erection drawings.
• Prepare specifications, and oversee and review proposals and work for applicable foundation (e.g. helical piles) vendors. Review vendor calculations, design and installation drawings.
• Provide technical expertise to project teams including recommendation of reliable and cost-effective structure and foundation type and design methodology based on site conditions and project needs.
• Oversee preparation of complete transmission line construction packages including Plan & Profile drawings, staking tables, structure loading drawings, foundation drawings and details, hardware and assembly drawings, phasing drawings, one lines, Bill of Materials and material and installation specifications.
• Provide permitting, construction and shop and field inspection support.
• Lead collaborative project design teams, overseeing design work of other technical staff.
• Lead project coordination effort with internal and external partners including cross-discipline teams, client, construction and vendors. Interface with all project stakeholders including environmental, systems planning, systems operation, real estate, standards, legal, communications, landowners, GIS technicians and government agencies. Attend and lead external and internal meetings.
• Prepare, monitor, and update project scopes, schedules, budgets and staffing forecasts.
• Provide technical guidance and training for entry and mid-level employees.
• Contribute to standards and process improvements.
• Travel out of town for short periods of time as required by projects and assignments.
• Build and maintain positive client relationships.
• Bachelor’s degree in civil or structural engineering from an ABET accredited four-year college or university. Master’s Degree preferred
• Ten+ years’ experience in structural engineering and design including at least eight years designing transmission lines from 69kV up to 765kV
• Proficient in PLS-CADD, PLS-Pole, PLS Tower, Mathcad, Excel
• Proficient in MFAD and LPILE; RISA Foundation, SAP2000 and/or SAFE experience a plus
• Familiarity with NESC, ASCE, ACI, IEEE, RUS design standards
• Familiarity with regional transmission codes and guidelines
• Strong verbal and written communication and problem solving skills
• EPC project experience preferred
• Licensed Professional Engineer
• Fast-paced office environment; must be able to interact professionally with all levels of management while simultaneously manage a diversified workload and challenging situations efficiently and effectively; regularly sit, stand, walk and talk and listen; occasionally lift and move up objects up to 30 pounds.
• Travel in the U.S. and internationally (5-15%).
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Construction, Engineer, Geology, GIS, Inspector, Engineering, Technology, Quality