Kiewit Corporation Senior Industrial Estimator in Lenexa, Kansas
Senior Industrial Estimator
Date: Apr 22, 2019
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 77810
Excellence, Innovation, and change has defined Ibberson as a design-build firm in the agricultural, industrial, and infrastructure marketplace for over 135 years. Due to our record performance last year, and the challenge of advancing our position in the food & beverage and industrial sectors, we are seeking high caliber candidates to fill a newly created position of Senior Estimator.
This person will be responsible for taking client requested scopes and incorporating solutions from the engineering, environmental, procurement, construction and start up services groups to produce an estimate. Core objectives include: functional understanding and interpretation of RFP documents, application of historical rate and production information, and foster the development and growth of the estimating department staff through mentoring and improved work processes to meet the needs of industrial clients.
• Develop complete estimates for very large, complex industrial projects.
• Know and understand the strategy on how to be the low bidder
• Must read the specifications and develop notes for the unique or extraordinary items.
• Make it a priority to know the estimate inside and out
• Know how to build the project (best practices, sequence, geographical challenges etc.). Work with discipline leads to formulate a plan that includes all lessons learned and costs and put that plan to paper
• Understand what design deliverables by discipline are required and assure that the delivery schedule is met
• Take the lead in making sure we are pricing the “lowest cost” in all disciplines
• Facilitate Cross-Discipline Communication
• Train and mentor younger estimators in the preparation estimates.
• Review estimates prepared by other estimating groups or JV partners to determine data completeness and procedures; aid in resolving differences in bid items
• Use recognized engineer techniques and procedures to conduct estimates and adhere to standard company policy
• Must be capable of handling major technical problems encountered during bid preparation.
• Stay current on various trends and developments such as new equipment, means & methods, and procedures developing in the industry or specialized discipline (e.g., mechanical, electrical, etc.).
• Understand Industrial project past cost data for benchmarking to compare to estimates
• Monitor Key Estimate Metrics - Be aware of and monitor key estimating metrics that are looked at by Senior Management and ensure that the estimate falls within the accepted boundaries. Be able to explain any metrics that my fall outside these accepted boundaries.
• Approve all wages, composite crews, payroll tax and insurance values.
• Complete the project organization chart
• Resource Load CPM schedules – Optimize schedule resource loading with schedulers
• Communication with Senior Managers - Communicate critical issues and estimate assumptions up to the Manager as they arise to ensure everyone is on the same page for the reviews to eliminate late changes.
• Schedule and prepare for the estimate reviews
• Conduct a detailed formal review of all engineered equipment, subcontract, and permanent material pricing.
• Prepare special studies or reports required by the unusual nature of some bid items or conditions.
• Formulate the procurement and subcontracting strategy
• Manage estimate teams to achieve the overall bid schedules
• Understand what will be submitted in the proposal document
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil or construction-related technology, OR extensive and related work experience leading to a thorough understanding of the knowledge, skills and abilities described above
• At least seven years’ experience in a related role bidding industrial projects
• Extensive knowledge through demonstrated experience of heavy industrial construction, especially industrial projects
• Strong attention to detail; strong communication, interpersonal, leadership and team-building skills
• Excellent negotiation skills
• Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products (e.g. Excel, Work, Outlook, PowerPoint)
• Understanding & proficiency in developing (CPM) master project proposal schedules
• Ability to perform duties in wide-ranging physical and climatic conditions, heights and negotiation of complex stair structures
• Demonstrate through leadership, the desire to win the project
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Industrial, Estimator, Engineer, Electrical, Payroll, Manufacturing, Finance, Engineering