Kiewit Corporation Senior Geotechnical Technician in Lenexa, Kansas
Senior Geotechnical Technician
Date: Dec 31, 2018
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 78682
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Infrastructure Design Department, which includes structural, geotechnical, civil, drainage, roadway, transit, and materials disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the design-build delivery of infrastructure projects.
We are an innovative team of design engineers that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff leads and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. Kiewit’s culture encourages training, developing your skills, and tailoring your experience and knowledge to allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
Position Summary :
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers is seeking a Senior Engineering Technician for our Construction Engineering Services (CES) in the Lenexa, KS office. Looking for the ideal candidate to have the ability to grow within the team. The Engineering Technician should have at least 15 years’ experience in oversight and testing of geotechnical construction. This position includes performing geotechnical/construction observation and exploration in the field; overseeing the collection of field samples for analysis; communicating findings and results to engineers and professionals; writing daily field reports; and providing construction observation and monitoring to assure compliance with project specifications/recommendations
This position requires travel to project offices and work sites and periodic field assignments.*
Key Duties & Responsibilities :
• Assists the Engineer in developing, organizing and administering Geotechnical investigations
• Assist others in identifying and eliminating or mitigating work related to Geotechnical hazards
• Observe geotechnical construction for compliance with plans and specifications.
• Oversee data collection and testing by third party testing firms. Work with geotechnical engineer of record (EOR) and project quality staff to assure that the level of observation and testing is sufficient and appropriate for the activity.
• Assess geotechnical conditions for potential changes in conditions or assumptions in geotechnical reports or designs.
• Prepare daily field reports documenting the work observed, communications with the project team that third party testing firm, and any potential differences in site conditions or proposed modifications to materials or construction practices necessitated by site conditions.
• Communicate frequently with the geotechnical EOR on site conditions, testing results, and any quality issues that are identified.
• Performs other related duties as assigned
Expertise Required :
• Associate’s Degree in Engineering (preferred)
• 15+ years of experience in oversight and testing of geotechnical construction
• Experience with support of excavations, earthwork, deep foundations, and ground improvement
• Strong all-around knowledge of geotechnical construction and testing
• Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with individuals at all levels of the organization
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments
• Ability to travel to project sites and/or relocate based on business needs
• Proficient in Microsoft Office products including Word and Excel.#LI-RP1
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Technician, Engineer, Geology, Consulting, Transportation, Technology, Engineering