Kiewit Corporation Senior Geotechnical Engineer in Lenexa, Kansas
Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Date: Apr 7, 2019
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 74250
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Infrastructure Design Department, which includes structural, geotechnical, civil, drainage, roadway, transit, and materials disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the design-build delivery of infrastructure projects.
We are an innovative team of design engineers that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff leads and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. Kiewit’s culture encourages training, developing your skills, and tailoring your experience and knowledge to allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
Position Summary :
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers is seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer. The Senior Geotechnical Engineer position is responsible for engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation business. This will require knowledge of geotechnical engineering, rock mechanics and geotechnical design associated with heavy civil construction. The Senior Geotechnical Engineer will work with an interdisciplinary team that includes structural engineers, roadway engineers, drainage engineers, material engineers, estimators, schedulers and construction experts to perform engineering analysis and design. Our geotechnical engineers support project pursuits, awarded projects, and construction engineering. The Senior Geotechnical Engineer will be responsible for overseeing the production and/or review of engineering reports, geotechnical analysis, and directing the work of staff geotechnical engineers.
This position requires travel to project offices and work sites and periodic field assignments.*
Key Duties & Responsibilities :
• The Senior Geotechnical Engineer is responsible for engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation business
• Support of the bid phase development of innovative and cost-effective design
• Working within the pursuit team during the bid phase to help identify key design risks and develop plans to mitigate risks
• Support efforts to capture and spread design lessons learned knowledge to all Districts
• Support efforts to develop and spread design innovation knowledge to all Districts
• Work with the interdisciplinary engineering team and design subcontractors to ensure the most cost-effective design is developed
• Train and develop junior engineers
Expertise Required :
• Bachelor of Science degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering; Master’s degree or PhD in Geotechnical Engineering is preferred
• 11+ years of relevant geotechnical engineering experience, 15+ preferred
• Registration as a Professional Engineer in the U.S
• Strong all-around academic knowledge of geotechnical engineering
• Experience with support of excavation, earth retention, slope stability, rock mechanics, soft soils, ground improvement, deep foundations, shallow foundations, dewatering, mining, and/or dam design is an asset
• Experience working in a team setting and directing the work of others
• Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
• Strong people skills and an ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment
• The physical ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environmental conditions
• Ability to travel to project sites and/or relocate based on business needs
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Geotechnical Engineering, Engineer, Construction, Geology, Transportation, Engineering