Kiewit Corporation Senior Electrical Distribution Engineer in Lenexa, Kansas
Date: Mar 16, 2018
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 70143
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Consistently recognized as one of the best places to work in North America and in 2015, named one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from day one of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit provides cost-effective conceptual and engineering solutions to upgrade, expand, repair, maintain and reliably operate client distribution system assets safely, efficiently, and in full compliance with state and federal regulatory requirements. We plan and design electric substations and distribution systems to meet present and future demands of our clients.
Responsibilities include performing technical system studies, developing and preparing recommendations, and communicating action plans to clients and team members.
Examples of studies performed include system expansion and improvement projects, system protection and coordination, reactive compensation, voltage analyses, distributed generation and renewable interconnections, power quality studies and system contingency scenarios.
• Accurately develops and maintains complex computer models of the electric delivery system that are used to simulate the operation of the electric delivery system.
• Resolve electric system issues and effectively communicate detailed documentation and plans of a complex design with other work groups.
• Incorporate safety as a priority into the design and operation of all projects.
• Effectively manage a significant number of projects while maintaining work product quality, consistency, accuracy and reliability.
• Develop new processes and tools that benefit the group in the analysis of the electric system and multiple large data sets of historical operating conditions.
• Maintain and utilize a current knowledge of electric utility rules, technical, administrative and regulatory requirements for reliable, safe operation of systems.
• Work independently and be able to train and coach newer less experienced engineers.
• Ability to apply analysis to identify the best solution to a technical problem, and to effectively communicate and commit to a course of action that is consistent with all legal, regulatory, code, standard, or other requirements
• Perform power flow studies using CYME and equal including creating and maintaining underlying databases
• High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office software including PowerPoint, Word and Excel with VBA skills
• Technical decision making, good interpersonal skills, organization skills, and effective oral and written communication skills
• Software Automation and Scripting is a plus
• Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering degree
• Professional Engineer
• Seven plus years of applicable electric utility experience
• Ability and experience selling study and design work; demonstrated client management skills
• Distribution planning work experience required
• Ability to lead, direct, train and motivate others
• Fast-paced office environment; must be able to interact professionally with all levels of management while simultaneously manage a diversified workload and challenging situations efficiently and effectively; regularly sit, stand, walk and talk and listen; occasionally lift and move up objects up to 30 pounds.
• Travel in the U.S. and internationally (5-15%).
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Distribution, Electrical, Engineer, Construction, Electrical Engineering, Operations, Engineering