Kiewit Corporation Safety Intern - Kiewit Power Constructors in Lenexa, Kansas
Date: Feb 19, 2018
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 71901
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Consistently recognized as one of the best places to work in North America and in 2015, named one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development
• Internships are a great opportunity to explore many different specialty construction and engineering areas within Kiewit and get important hands-on experience
• Our interns have meaningful relations to the industry's top talent for guidance, and have significant responsibilities in real world areas of the Kiewit organization
• Our long-standing internship program has launched many Kiewit careers, including our Chairman and CEO’s
As a Safety Intern, you’ll be part of a team implementing and overseeing the Project Safety Program including the development of site safety policies and procedures. You’ll assist in monitoring the activities of heavy industrial construction projects, insuring the facility's compliance with pertinent governmental regulations, company policies and procedures. You’ll assist in determining the cause of unsafe conditions and injury claims through procedure, equipment, facilities inspection and worker observation. Providing corrective action recommendations and assisting in implementing metrics for tracking and reporting on performance issues will also fall within your responsibilities. Safety Interns will review project work plans for accuracy in conformance with the standards and assist in safety program audits, coaching, and training. You must have the ability to carry out duties in varying work environments including wide ranging weather conditions and terrain with the ability to travel and/or relocate as required for projects.
• Must be pursuing a degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Safety, or a related field of study.
• Knowledge of construction safety, current Federal and OSHA requirements.
• Working knowledge of computers and experience with Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies.
• Strong work ethic - Willing to do what it takes to get the job done.
• The ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Certification as a Safety Professional or Emergency Medical Technician is preferred.
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment.
• The ability to travel and relocate as required.
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Construction, Intern, Engineer, Inspector, Facilities, Engineering, Entry Level, Quality, Operations