Kiewit Corporation Renewable Energy and Battery Storage Electrical Engineer in Lenexa, Kansas
Date: Mar 7, 2018
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 73142
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Consistently recognized as one of the best places to work in North America and in 2015, named one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from day one of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit’s Lenexa office is currently seeking Electrical Engineers with experience in Renewable, Battery Energy Storage and Distributed Energy technologies for the Engineering Services (ES) business line. ES engineers in this position are typically responsible for supporting renewable and alternative energy proposals, running design and performance software for solar, microgid and energy storage designs, and performing renewable energy related project electrical engineering roles for power markets served by Kiewit. The Engineering role focuses on using design and performance modeling tools such as Helioscope, PVSyst and HOMER Pro to support proposals, owners engineer roles and EPC project engineering roles for our Kiewit clients. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in one or more of the aforementioned design software tools and real world project design engineering/construction experience with a combination of solar, alternative energy & microgrid related technologies, and energy storage systems. The primary initial focus is on PV solar, microgrid and Battery Energy Storage Systems of commercial industrial scale to utility scale (i.e.50kW to 200-MW).
Kiewit is looking for a committed, energized and highly motivated individual who has a passion for achieving excellence. The Engineering Services Renewables Electrical Engineer is responsible for, but not limited, to the following responsibilities as related to electrical engineering design:
• Establish and maintain on-going internal and external client relationships within the renewable/alternative energy industry.
• Follow proposal and project execution plans including deliverables lists, schedule, budget, and manpower projections required to successfully execute the proposal or project.
• Utilize design and performance modeling tools such as Helioscope, PVSyst and HOMER Pro to support proposals, owners engineer roles and Engineer, Procure, Construct (EPC) project engineering roles.
• Develop electrical designs for solar, energy storage systems (battery, flywheel, electrolysis, and hydrogen storage, ultra-capacitors, etc.), and microgrid related technologies such as natural gas recip engines, small wind turbines, fuel cells, microturbines, distributed control and monitoring systems, etc. The major focus will be on PV solar, microgrids, and battery energy storage systems in the near term.
• Support presentation of proposals to customers including customer follow-up. Proposal Development-Assist with the development of proposal documents and engineering estimate.
• Assist with post proposal submittal bid strategy, answer questions and participate in closing projects.
• Maintain a strong network of industry related individuals for the purpose of expanding Kiewit’s services and opportunities.
• Ensure Quality Control of services and deliverables is followed, in accordance with the Kiewit Company Quality Plan.
• Follow proper Scope Management so that the scope of services required by Contract is provided and that out-of-scope work is properly compensated.
• Communicate proposal and project status to Proposal, Procurement, and Engineering Services Leadership as required.
The ideal candidate for the Engineering Services Renewables Electrical Engineer will possess the following qualities:
• A minimum of 2 years proven electrical engineering design experience in the PV solar, battery energy storage, or microgrid industry (industrial scale to utility scale projects)
• PE license preferred, or strong willingness to pursue
• Bachelor of Science degree in related field (i.e., electrical engineering)
• Experience with utilizing Helioscope, PVSyst or HOMER Pro
• Strong project team orientation and networking skills
• Willingness to travel (10% of time) with some overnight stays required
• High degree of self-motivation
• Motivated by competition, yet a team player
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Flexibility to work in other Power, Water, or Power Delivery business lines, if required
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Construction, Engineer, Electrical, Electrical Engineering, Project Engineer, Engineering