Kiewit Corporation Mid-Level Structural Designer in Lenexa, Kansas
Mid-Level Structural Designer
Date: Jun 9, 2019
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 79209
We are committed to the development of our people. On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you the satisfaction of a job well done, but will help propel you forward in your career faster than you may expect. We’ll train you, develop your skills, and allow you to take on power projects that will impact millions across North America.
As a structural designer, you’ll take full technical responsibility for organizing, planning and drafting power design projects. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
• Applies engineering design principles and procedures to perform intricate engineering design work.
• Coordinate with other design group team members to review and exchange project information necessary for design and development; utilize standard tools to request reviews, hold list, requests for information.
• Gathers required information and collaborate with engineers and multiple disciplines to develop 3D (BIM) models for foundations and steel structures
• Leverages Building Information Modeling (BIM) to create plans, drawings, and details.
• Utilizes knowledge of departmental design standards and applicable engineering codes to review prepared drawings and documents for conformance; Informs Manager and/or Lead Designer of project decisions that differ from company standards
• Mentors other team members in design and modeling techniques.
• Reports project progression updates and/or issues to Lead Designer as required.
• Participates in project meetings, pipe rack meetings, initial and design coordination meetings.
• Demonstrates ability to interpret multi-discipline engineering and vendor documents
• Maintains a high level of understanding for applicable engineering codes.
• Must be able to represent Kiewit Power Engineers in a professional manner to owners, contractors, vendors and any other contacts outside Kiewit organization
• Displays leadership and confidence to monitor peers, especially those with less experience in drafting and design.
• Must be able to communicate effectively and constructively with other team members and disciplines both verbally and in written form.
• Knowledge and experience with BIM software (Tekla Structures) is preferred. Basic knowledge of the latest computer operating systems and experience utilizing a Computer Aided Drafting program, (MicroStation, AutoCAD and, NavisWorks) is required.
• Knowledge of basic spreadsheet, database, word processing programs.
• Associate’s degree in Drafting Technology and 6+ years of power plant design experience or a related field; or completion of a vocational training program in drafting and 8+ years of power plant experience or a related field; or high school diploma or general education degree (GED) and a minimum of 10 years’ of power plant design experience
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Engineer, Drafting, Database, Wastewater, Structural Engineer, Engineering, Technology