Kiewit Corporation Mechanical Design/Drafting Intern - Kiewit Power Engineers in Lenexa, Kansas
Mechanical Design/Drafting Intern - Kiewit Power Engineers
Date: Feb 6, 2020
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 87159
As a Mechanical Design Intern you will apply engineering drafting principles and procedures in performing basic engineering drafting work. Develop drawings and models with information, close guidance, and direction provided by engineers and designers. This position coordinates with other design group team members to review and exchange project information necessary for design and development. Performs specific design functions for the project as assigned. Utilizes Operations Quality Assurance Manual, Operations Drafting/Design Standards Manual and Department quality standards and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop 3D models utilizing drawings, sketches, and design skills.
• Create and maintain plan, diagram and detail drawings.
• Develop the capability of navigating and checking in the 3D models for interferences and constructability.
• Resolve comments on checked drawings; understand and implement the comments made.
• Complete as-builts by utilizing RFIs, ECNs and red-marked drawings from construction to develop “Conformed to Construction Records” as required.
• Gather information needed to develop drawings.
• Create check packages with all applicable information to the work assigned.
• Learn and utilize all applicable Kiewit Engineering & Design Co. design and quality standards
• Learn and utilize applicable codes and standards to complete assignments.
• Carry out assignments carefully while focused on details.
• Perform assigned work efficiently and effectively to maximize personal productivity.
• Handle various assignments, including rework, in timely manner to meet schedule deadlines.
• Report work progress updates and/or issues to Lead Designer as required.
• Inform Manager and/or Lead Designer of project decisions that differ from Kiewit Engineering & Design Co. standards.
• Perform personal quality checks of the design in a team environment to ensure accuracy.
• Check design for consistency, safety, operability, and maintenance requirements before submitting to checking.
• Basic understanding of piping layouts and field drawings.
• Participate in meetings as required: i.e., Weekly Project Meetings.
• Proactive about learning new information and skills.
• Seek feedback and actively apply it.
• Able to receive limited instruction on routine work and detailed instruction on new assignment from more experienced designer.
• Adjusts to varying demands of work and performs well.
• Communicates effectively verbally and in writing. Present ideas clearly and in professional manner.
• Participates in team environment effectively. Accepts direction from the team. Individually contributes to success of the team.
• Supports project teams and departments in a positive and productive manner. Works well with other to accomplish common goals and objectives.
• Serves as point of contact for external or internal customers.
• Follows through on commitments made to internal and external customers.
• Able to manage multiple responsibilities with set expectations and meet deadlines.
• Entry to Intermediate AutoCAD skills.
Must be capable of utilizing a computer-aided drafting program (MicroStation, AutoCAD, NavisWorks, SmartPlant), and have a basic knowledge of the latest computer operating systems. Must be able to communicate through emails and utilize electronic meeting requests. Must have a working knowledge of spreadsheets and databases.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma with Relevant coursework/experience or pursuing Associate/Bachelor’s degree in Computer Aided Drafting or relevant degree
May travel to a project site for tour.
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2018 revenues of $9 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 20,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Drafting, Intern, Engineer, Construction, QA, Engineering, Entry Level, Quality