Kiewit Corporation Experienced Structural Engineer - KIE in Lenexa, Kansas
Experienced Structural Engineer - KIE
Date: Jan 13, 2020
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 88100
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers is a part of Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc. A full-service consulting driven engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Infrastructure Design Department, which includes structural, geotechnical, civil, drainage, roadway, transit, and materials disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the design-build delivery of infrastructure projects.
This position will be based out of Kiewit’s Lenexa, KS office.
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers is seeking an Experinced/Mid-Level Structural Design Engineer for our Construction Engineering Services (CES) in the Lenexa, KS. The ideal candidate will be a part of a growing team that supports all aspects of the construction process by performing innovative design engineering through brainstorming conceptual designs, performing and/or reviewing structural calculations, developing plans, scheduling tasks to meet client needs, as well as mitigating risk to keep our construction crews safe. The Structural Design Engineer should have at least 5 years’ experience in engineering plan production, be technically advanced and familiar with current technical tools/programs/software, and relevant structural codes and construction industry standards.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop drawings and calculations for temporary works and construction methods including:
• Heavy lift plans (site logistics, equipment selection, geometry / feasibility studies, design of custom rigging and lifting devices, hoisting and jacking systems, custom tools, and crane pad / working surface designs)
• Erection procedures or planned sequences related to construction or demolition operations
• Evaluation of existing structures for construction loads and/or demolition planning
• Structural analysis to ensure stability during the temporary condition of power, water and industrial facilities (for example: construction staging, design of temporary falsework systems, and rebar cage hoisting and support)
• Support of excavation systems or cofferdams for construction below grade
• Temporary bridges, trestles, work platforms, fall protection systems, formwork, and other features relating to our construction operation
• Perform and/or review others’ calculations and design drawings, according to industry codes, standards, additional client design criteria, and structural theories
• Ensure quality and accuracy of the design deliverables
• Help to identify design risks and assist with risk mitigation planning
• Assist in Project Management (budgets, schedules, quality control, and coordination / communication with clients)
• Coordinate with permanent design and construction teams to develop safe and constructible structures
• Other responsibilities include: Project on-site design engineering support, on-site inspections, training and mentoring E.I.T.’s, etc.
• 5+ years of relevant engineering experience (temporary structures and/or construction engineering)
• Accredited Bachelor of Science degree in Civil or Structural Engineering; Master’s degree or greater in Structural Engineering is preferred
• Professional Engineer licensure or eligibility within the United States
• Strong all-around academic knowledge of structural engineering; coursework and / or experience in foundations engineering / retaining wall design is preferred
• Experience using MathCAD is a must; experience using other engineering design software, such as BlueBeam, RISA, etc will be an advantage
• Knowledge of ASME/ANSI guidelines for cranes and rigging, OSHA standards for the construction industry, and other local standards/requirements is preferred
• Capable of transferring engineering concepts and procedures to working drawings
• Must have the ability to organize and handle multiple project assignments
• Ability to take initiative and succeed with minimal direction
• Proven ability to maintain attention to detail
• Experience with working in a team setting
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with individuals at all levels within and outside the organization
• Strong inter-personal skills and an ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment
• Ability to travel/TDY assignments and/or relocate based on business needs
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments
Other Names for this role are: Mid-Level Structural Engineer, Structural Engineer, Bridge Engineer
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2018 revenues of $9 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 20,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Engineer, Construction, Structural Engineer, Consulting, Geology, Engineering, Technology