Kiewit Corporation Early Career Structural Engineer - Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers in Lenexa, Kansas
Date: May 19, 2018
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 74187
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and energy markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Kiewit Engineering Group’s Construction Engineering Department develops, analyzes, and designs cost-effective solutions that enable projects to be built safely and efficiently. The design tasks our group performs include building erection planning, critical crane lifts, personnel access and fall protection systems, hoisting and jacking, deep foundations and dewatering, excavation support, marine engineering, falsework design, temporary bridge & trestle, working surface design, and on-site engineering support.
We are an in-house resource that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff shares experiences gained innovative concepts, and design best practices for all projects that we support. Focused on safe, cost-effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. Kiewit’s culture encourages training, developing your skills, and tailoring your experience and knowledge to allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers is seeking an Early Career Structural Design Engineer for our Construction
Engineering Services (CES) in the KIE – Lenexa, Kansas office. Looking for the ideal candidate to have
the ability to grow within the CES Engineering team with scheduling out tasks, structural calculations, quantities calculations, cost estimates, and risk mitigation. The Structural Design Engineer should have at least 0 years’ experience in engineering plan production, and be familiar with current technical tools/programs/software, and Structural codes. Our Construction Engineering Services (CES) group provides value to the success of our clients’ projects by designing and building temporary works, such as cofferdams, excavation support, and critical crane lifts, which are critical to quality project design, cost control, and construction excellence. The engineering design tasks our Construction Engineering Services group performs to help Kiewit build projects include: Bridge demolition, Cofferdam design, Critical crane lifts, Girder erection, Hoisting and jacking, Deep foundations and dewatering, Excavation support, Marine engineering, MSE wall design, Pile drive analysis, Ductwork analysis, Falsework design, Temporary bridge & trestle, TSCD budget estimate support, TSCD coordination, Working surface design, On-site engineering support.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• Design of temporary structures including falsework, support of excavation systems, temporary bridges,
trestles, and other features relating to our construction operations
• Perform calculations and structural designs
• Ensure accuracy of the design drawings
• Produce quantities and cost estimates
• Have the knowledge and ability to analyze and design according to codes, design criteria, and structural
• Capable of transferring structural design and ideas to contract drawings
• Help identify design risks and assist with risk mitigation planning
• Other responsibilities could include: heavy lift planning, evaluation of existing structures for construction
loads, erection procedures or planned sequences related to our construction operations
• Experience with temporary structures and/or construction engineering preferred
• Accredited Bachelor of Science degree in Civil or Structural Engineering; Master’s degree or greater in
Structural Engineering is preferred
• 0 - 4 years of relevant engineering experience
• EIT licensure or eligibility within the United States
• Strong all-around academic knowledge of structural engineering
• Experience with engineering design software will be an advantage; this includes AutoCAD, Bluebeam,
MathCAD, Navisworks, RISA-3D etc.
• Experience with working in a team setting
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with individuals at all levels of the organization
• Developing interpersonal skills and an ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment
• Ability to travel/TDY assignments and/or relocate based on business needs
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built in to every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Consistently recognized as one of the best places to work in North America and in 2015, named one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from day one of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Construction, Engineer, Consulting, Structural Engineer, Construction Engineer, Engineering, Technology