Kiewit Corporation Distribution Engineer in Lenexa, Kansas
Date: Nov 27, 2019
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 84459
The Distribution Engineer is primarily responsible for the cost-effective conceptual and engineering solutions to upgrade, expand, maintain and automate overhead and underground power distribution systems for our utility clients using various software systems and construction standards. The Distribution Engineer ensures compliance with client procedures, design standards, state and federal regulatory requirements and safety code requirements. The Distribution Engineer will work closely with engineers performing substation, transmission, renewable energy, power storage, and communication design.
Work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, fault currents, placement of protective devices, development of bills of materials, and estimating costs. Work assignments may include traveling to various project locations to conduct field investigations.
Primary responsibilities include performing technical system studies, developing and preparing distribution line designs, planning design construction sequences and developing new work through existing relationships. Responsibilities will include the following at a minimum:
• Perform system expansion and improvement projects, system protection and coordination, reactive compensation, voltage analyses, distributed generation and renewable interconnections, power quality studies and system contingency scenarios.
• Accurately develop and maintain complex computer models of the electric delivery system that are used to simulate the operation of the electric delivery system.
• Perform power flow studies using CYME or equivalent software including creating and maintaining underlying databases.
• Prepare cost effective system expansion plans using good engineering practices.
• Effectively communicate detailed documentation and plans of a complex design with other work groups.
• Effectively manage a significant number of projects while maintaining work product quality, consistency, accuracy and reliability.
• Incorporate employee and public safety as a priority into the design and operation of all projects.
• Develop new processes and tools that benefit the group in the analysis of the electric system and multiple large data sets of historical operating conditions.
• Apply analysis to identify the best solution to a technical problem and effectively communicate and commit to a course of action that is consistent with all legal, regulatory, code, standard or other requirements as well as corporate policies and procedures.
• Develop the next generation distribution automation designs in close coordination with our clients.
• Work independently and train and coach newer less experienced engineers.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
• EIT with the ability to become registered PE
• 5+ years of applicable electric utility experience
• Technical decision making, good interpersonal skills, organization skills, and effective oral and written communication skills
• Possess a current knowledge of electric utility rules, technical, administrative and regulatory requirements for reliable, safe operation of the system.
• High-level proficiency in Microsoft Office software including PowerPoint, Word and Excel
• Distribution planning work experience preferred
• Experience with distribution make ready design for 3rd party attachments is a plus
• Software Automation and Scripting is a plus
• We work in a fast-paced office environment. You must be able to interact professionally with all levels of management while simultaneously managing a diversified workload and challenging situations efficiently and effectively. You will be required to regularly sit, stand, walk and talk and listen; occasionally lift and move up objects up to 30 pounds.
• Travel in the U.S. and internationally (5-15% as needed).
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2018 revenues of $9 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 20,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Distribution, Engineer, Electrical, Construction, Compliance, Operations, Engineering, Legal