Kiewit Corporation Director Business Development - EPC Power in Lenexa, Kansas
Director Business Development - EPC Power
Date: Jun 30, 2019
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 79945
The Director Business Development (DBD) - leads the EPC Power sales efforts and has primary account responsibility for clients in the Midwest region. The DBD is responsible for establishing relationships with electric utilities and independent power producers (IPP’s) at all levels of the organization necessary to effectively communicate our value to clients as well as to translate our services into cost competitive engineering, procurement and construction solutions to meet their needs. Relationships must extend across a diverse client base to ensure Kiewit is attune to evolving market conditions as well as suitable teams are assembled when clients require a composite solution. The role is a regionally based, long-term client relationship building position comprised of three distinct areas of responsibility: Strategic Client Relationship Building, Specific Opportunity Pursuit, and Internal Kiewit Sales Alignment.
Reporting to the Sr. Vice President, Power Business Development at Kiewit Power, the DBD has a dedicated focus on business development for utility and IPP’s, retrofits, new generation and general construction. The DBD is part of a broader team of power sales BDMs serving in engineering services, and Power Delivery business units. Kiewit also has a high caliber proposal and marketing team well equipped for graphic design, presentation development and coaching, value proposal development, event planning and market analytics to provide valuable services in support of business development. Account plans and strategy are developed in a team approach with members from each of the sales teams that interact with these clients through different contacts and requiring different solutions; and it will be the responsibility of the accountable DBD to develop and drive the outcomes articulated in these plans. Moreover, these account plans will be coordinated with business line objectives to source work where we deliver the greatest value. Sales goals and objectives will be derived during each annual business planning process with the BDM’s direct engagement.
The successful DBD will experience personal satisfaction and career growth by positioning our EPC Power team throughout his or hers regional area and specific accounts, help expand our presence in Kiewit’s traditional and ancillary markets, and work with young leaders eager to share the success along all phases of the sales and business development cycle.
Strategic Client Relationship Building
• Develop and sustain a robust pipeline of relevant, qualified regional opportunities.
• Monitor projects, analyze results, and maintain existing client relationships to facilitate communication on current and future project performance.
• Expand work with existing clients through additional services and offerings that meet clients evolving needs.
• Continually evaluate the regional market for new clients and new service offerings that can be delivered for current Kiewit clients
• Serve as the client advocate for all responses to client request for proposals (RFPs) and request for information (RFI’s) and work solicitation inquiries; present to management argument for go/no go decisions
• Drive continuous assertive client follow up, rapid opportunity identification, and issue resolution.
• Lead all regional client based events as well as business development-oriented regional conferences and other client events.
• Advise and support other professionals involved in business development in their efforts with clients.
• Coordinate sales in the region and support joint client visits
• Visit plant and corporate locations for relationship building for a wide variety of work opportunities ranging from EPC, engineering services, construction, and retrofit design projects to new greenfield projects.
• Provide support as requested on client contract negotiations.
• Support business development for all Kiewit entities as needed and as appropriate.
• Become and remain continually informed on industry developments and the competitive landscape.
• Identify and communicate competitor and market sector intelligence.
Specific Opportunity Pursuit
• Pursue, qualify, coordinate, develop, collaborate, and deliver winning proposals to our clients.
• Develop the proposal strategy and value messaging for all regional proposals.
• Collaborate with marketing and other stakeholders to write value proposition based proposals that crisply articulate our differentiators to our clients
• Nurture relationships with key client individuals to support Kiewit’s proposals.
• Communicate with the client before, during and after the proposal process to gather specific guidance to ensure our service offerings meet their objectives.
• Identify key Kiewit advocates within the client and use appropriately.
Internal Kiewit Sales Alignment
• Complete and update pursuit data in the SAP based CRM tool for timely use by all other business leaders and business development professionals
• Actively participate in weekly business development calls and annual planning efforts
• Support the contracts process and business development proposals as required.
• Support identification and validation of client services portfolios.
• Support identification and development of business development initiatives.
• Collaborate with marketing to develop strategic and focused business collateral.
• Collaborate with Business line Mnagers, Seller-Doers and service area managers for team selling opportunities.
• Develop enduring relationships with key internal business development partners within Kiewit.
• Develop and support long-range sales forecasting.
• Host, facilitate and assist routine internal business development meetings.
• Excellent communication skills, strong leadership skills and ability to positively motivate business development and marketing staff and clients
• At least 10 years’ proven experience in Power and professional services related sales roles
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction or business (preferred) or for the right sales professional a strong willingness and aptitude to gain through training a broad understanding of the power market and specific service offerings provided by Kiewit
• Must be able to travel up to 60% of time with overnight stays.
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2018 revenues of $9 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 20,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Business Development, Manager, Engineer, ERP, Sales, Management, Engineering, Technology