Kiewit Corporation Civil Engineering Intern - Kiewit Power Engineers in Lenexa, Kansas
Civil Engineering Intern - Kiewit Power Engineers
Date: Nov 30, 2018
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 76413
• Assist in the evaluation, selection, and application of engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria for site development projects.
• Design for an assigned system that may include analysis, calculations, research, selection, layout, etc. necessary to develop required design documents.
• Utilize knowledge of departmental design standards and applicable engineering codes to review prepared drawings and documents for conformance; work with civil designers to ensure quality procedures are followed.
• Assist in design efforts with all project personnel in all disciplines and departments ranging from moderate to large or complex projects.
• Collaborate with entry and mid-level employees for skills development; review work progress and results and provide direction as needed.
• Utilize basic civil engineering software packages and computer-aided drafting software in accordance with industry codes and standards.
• Collaborate with various discipline and subsidiary groups to provide expertise and support business needs.
• Provide recommendations and suggestions on designs as well as processes and standards.
• Work closely with Kiewit construction partners in a collaborative manner to ensure total project success.
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
Must be able to communicate effectively and constructively with other team members and disciplines both verbally and in written form. Must be able to complete assignments in a timely manner. Demonstrated ability to interpret multi-discipline engineering and vendor documents. Must be able to represent Kiewit Engineering and Design in a professional manner to owners, contractors, vendors and any other contacts outside the Kiewit Engineering and Design organization.
Knowledge of basic spreadsheet, database, word processing programs and basic computer operation.
Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering in a Civil Engineering program from an ABET accredited four-year college or university program.
Must be capable of utilizing a computer-aided drafting program (MicroStation, AutoCAD, GeoPak, NavisWorks), and have a basic knowledge of the latest computer operating systems. Must be able to communicate through emails and utilize electronic meeting requests. Must have a working knowledge of spreadsheets and databases.
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development
• Internships are a great opportunity to explore many different specialty construction and engineering areas within Kiewit and get important hands-on experience
• Our interns have meaningful relations to the industry's top talent for guidance, and have significant responsibilities in real-world areas of the Kiewit organization
• Our long-standing internship program has launched many Kiewit careers, including our Chairman and CEO’s
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Civil Engineer, Construction, Drafting, Intern, Database, Engineering, Entry Level, Technology