Kiewit Corporation Mid-Level Structural Design Engineer in Laval, Quebec
Mid-Level Structural Design Engineer
Date: Jul 3, 2019
Location: Laval, QC, CA
Requisition ID: 80099
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Infrastructure Design Department, which includes structural, geotechnical, civil, drainage, roadway, transit, and materials disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the design-build delivery of infrastructure projects.
We are an innovative team of design engineers that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff leads and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. Kiewit’s culture encourages training, developing your skills, and tailoring your experience and knowledge to allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building RRSP plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers is seeking a Mid-Level Structural Engineer for bridge and infrastructure projects in the Oakville, ON office. We are looking for the ideal candidate to perform a variety of design and analysis tasks related to steel and concrete bridges, construction methods, seismic design, design reviews, and conceptual and final designs. The Structural Design Engineer should have at least 5 – 10 years’ experience in engineering plan production and preparation of engineering calculations, be highly technically competent and familiar with current tools/programs/software, and CADD production practices.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• Perform modeling (2D and 3D), analysis and design calculations for bridge structures as well as ensure the accuracy of the design drawings;
• Have the knowledge and ability to analyze and design according to codes, design criteria, and structural theories;
• Contribute to engineering and CADD teams in developing preliminary and final plans and details
• Identify and understand technical requirements of high-risk projects and implement engineering principles to develop solutions
• Identify, interpret, and apply appropriate design standards and codes; ensure compliance with contract documents
• Perform seismic detailing, pushover, ductility, and frame analysis
• Participate in technical meetings and discussions; and strategize solutions to complex or unique technical problems
• Identify and implement new technologies that provide a competitive advantage
• Identify technical differentiators and develop schemes for key project pursuits
• Ensure all work is performed in compliance with Kiewit and/or project-specific Quality Management plans.
• Accredited Bachelor of Science degree in Structural or Civil Engineering with a bridge design emphasis; Master’s degree or greater in Structural Engineering is preferred. 5 - 10 years’ experience in relevant structural engineering design,
• Professional Engineer licensure within Canada, Quebec preferred.
• Strong all-around theoretical knowledge of structural engineering principles
• Experience with the design of multiple bridge types in concrete and steel, and knowledge of staged construction analysis; Experience with Design-Build delivery preferred
• Preferred experience with engineering design software, i.e. programs such as CSI Bridge, Advance Design America, LUSAS, SOFiSTiK, MIDAS, etc.
• Have the knowledge and ability to analyze and design according to structural theories, design criteria, and codes such as CAN/CSA S-6, AASHTO LRFD, AISC, ACI, and other provincial and North American design codes
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Strong people skills and an ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment
• Ability to travel as business requires
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row
• Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between
• RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province’s guidelines
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
Job Segment: Engineer, Construction, Structural Engineer, Design Engineer, Consulting, Engineering, Technology