Kiewit Corporation Safety Coordinator in Lake Charles, Louisiana
Date: Aug 12, 2019
Location: Lake Charles, LA, US
Requisition ID: 81067
At Kiewit, one of our guiding principles on every projects and in every office is, “Nobody Gets Hurt” and we’re currently looking for a Safety Coordinator who will create, support and audit our programs which reinforce our commitment to safety.
As a Safety Coordinator, you will report to Project Safety Manager. Your primary responsibilities centers on the successful implementation and support of the Site Specific Safety Plan in the field. You will assist the Project Safety Manager with the application of the contract, client safety expectations, Kiewit Corporate Safety Manual, Corporate Crane Procedures Manual, District Standards, and all laws governing the work. You will also verify to ensure that work is being executed as planned, problem-solve with operations and craft, assist with corrective measures, and provide resources to correct and maintain solutions.
• Assist in the development, review, updating, and communication of the SSSP to everyone including subcontractors
• Collaborate with the craft every day in the field to encourage buy-in of our safety program and to support craft ownership of the safety program
• Exercise Stop Work Responsibility to ensure adherence to company policies, regulations, work plans, work packs, and detailed work plans
• Plan, prioritize, and problem-solve with operations in the field every day based on leading indicator trends and upcoming work
• Encourage, support, inspire, and advise staff and craft employees to execute the SSSP
• Assist with maintaining project files in compliance with OSHA/MSHA regulations and in compliance with our policies including accident/injury files
• Assist with first aid and maintain relationships with emergency medical services and clinics
• Assist with KieTrac entry, incident investigations, and implementation of effective solution
• Complete a daily documented hazard inspection and assist operations, craft, and subcontractors with implementation of corrective actions
• Review work plans, work packs, and detailed work plans prior to the start of work
• Assist and provide safety training on policies, procedures, OSHA/MSHA, NCCER, SIMS, orientation, and client specific requirements
• Must have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a safety role on large civil construction projects.
• Must have an Associates degree in Occupational Health and Safety. Bachelor’s is preferred.
• The ability to travel and relocate as required
• OSHA 30, 500 and 510 certifications
• Degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Safety, or a related field of study is preferred
• Knowledge of construction safety, current Federal and OSHA requirements
• Certification as a Safety Professional or Emergency Medical Technician is preferred
• Working knowledge of computers and experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies
• Strong work ethic - Willing to do what it takes to get the job done
• The ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2018 revenues of $9 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 20,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Lake Charles
Job Segment: Engineer, Inspector, Compliance, Wastewater, Water Treatment, Engineering, Quality, Legal