Kiewit Corporation Structural Engineer- OGC Engineering in Houston, Texas
Structural Engineer- OGC Engineering
Date: Jul 3, 2019
Location: Houston, TX, US
Requisition ID: 80094
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service engineering firm serving oil, gas and chemical markets. Our combined staff of engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve the LNG, midstream, refining, and petrochemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing oil, gas and chemical team, which includes structural, civil, piping, mechanical, process, process safety, electrical, instrument and control disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the EPCC delivery model for dynamic process facilities.
We are an innovative team of engineers and designers that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff leads and collaborates with Kiewit’s module fabrication and construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
This position will be based out of our Energy Corridor office
• Performs intermediate calculations under the supervision of a more senior engineer. Solves problems using well established scientific principles.
• Analyze structures using various structural engineering software programs. Design buildings and building foundations, equipment platforms and foundations, pipe racks, and miscellaneous concrete and steel structures Prepares quantities, cost estimates, and other supporting documentation for projects.
• Prepare engineering drawings and calculations, include specifications related to the discipline.
• Develops small to mid-size project or proposals.
• Works with designers to develop engineering and design documents as needed for the project.
• Reviewing, monitoring and ensuring compliance requirements are met for design (e.g. Standards, specification and local codes and regulations etc.)
• Considers multiple solutions and makes good decisions based on good data analysis.
• Recognizes, troubleshoots and resolves design constraints and issues. Applies economic analysis to determine best cost solutions.
• Has good understanding of the complete design and has good input into ways of improving the design and lowering costs with little to no supervision.
• Identifies changes in the scope of work during a small project and produces design changes as needed to stay within budget and schedule.
• Recognizes the importance of customer needs.
• Performs assigned work efficiently and effectively to maximize person productivity.
• Leads quality checks of the design and engineering of a small to mid-size project to ensure accuracy.
• Establishes credibility in terms of technical competency.
• With little supervision, analyze structures using various structural engineering software programs. Design buildings and building foundations, equipment platforms and foundations, pipe racks, and miscellaneous concrete and steel structures Prepares quantities, cost estimates, and other supporting documentation for projects.
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil/Structural Engineering minimum required.
• 2-10 year minimum relevant experience in refining and petrochemical industry.
• Travel < 20% expected.
• Receives little to no instruction on routine work and detailed instruction on new assignment from more experienced engineer. Receives guidance on high risk or advanced conditions.
• Proficient in engineering software, such as Staad Pro, SAP2000, SAFE, spMats, and Mathcad.
• Engineering in Training certificate (EIT) or Professional Engineer (PE).
• Familiar with latest national and design codes such as IBC, ACI and AISC.
• Develops and presents work in well-constructed written and verbal presentations. Clearly conveys messages and ideas, gains understanding.
• Works collaboratively across departments and involves others in solving problems. Initiates meetings within own team, other disciplines or internal customers for clarity on work.
• Supports project teams and departments in a positive and productive manner. Works well with other to accomplish common goals and objectives.
• Serves as point of contact for external or internal customers.
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Job Segment: Structural Engineer, Engineer, Construction, Electrical, Compliance, Engineering, Legal