Kiewit Corporation Mid-Level Geotechnical Engineer in Houston, Texas
Mid-Level Geotechnical Engineer
Date: Nov 15, 2019
Location: Houston, TX, US
Requisition ID: 83480
Kiewit is seeking a Mid-Level Geotechnical Engineer to work on engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation’s business across the US and Canada. The primary duties of this engineer will include geotechnical engineering efforts in support of EPC contracts with Oil and Gas, Power, and Industrial clients. As, such, a strong technical background and excellent communication skills as well as an ability to work well in a team environment are considered critical to this position.
The Mid-Level Geotechnical Engineer will work with an interdisciplinary team that includes structural, civil, mechanical, and electrical engineers as well as estimators, schedulers and other construction professionals to perform engineering analyses and design. The Mid-Level Geotechnical Engineer will be involved in geotechnical engineering analyses and the production of engineering reports including supervising geotechnical staff involved in field exploration programs or other geotechnical engineering assignments.
*This position requires travel to project offices and work sites and periodic short-term field assignments.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
The Mid-Level Geotechnical Engineer will utilize geotechnical engineering knowledge to complete technical engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation business, including:
• Providing project support during the proposal/bid phase working with various team members to identify and evaluate innovative and cost-effective design solutions to geotechnical problems and challenges.
• Working with the pursuit team during the proposal/bid phase to help identify key design risks and develop plans to mitigate risks.
• Working on EPC/design-build projects to develop design recommendations, produce design deliverables, and potentially serve as geotechnical lead or project manager.
• Training and developing staff engineers.
• Master’s degree, or equivalent experience, in Geotechnical Engineering or closely related field, required.
• 5+ years of relevant geotechnical engineering experience.
• Registration as a Professional Engineer in the U.S., required.
• Demonstrated broad technical knowledge of geotechnical engineering, including: design of deep foundations, shallow foundations, evaluating slope stability, seismic engineering, retaining wall design, earth retention, rock mechanics, settlement of compressible soils, ground improvement techniques, support of excavation, and dewatering.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, with a demonstrated focus on interdisciplinary design coordination, coordination between Engineering and Construction, experience working in a team setting, and directing/reviewing the work of others.
• Strong interpersonal skills resulting in exceptional rapport with people. Proven success in initiating, promoting, and maintaining strong interpersonal relationships amongst a team.
• Ability to travel to project sites and the physical ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environmental conditions.
• EPC or Design-Build experience, preferred.
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Job Segment: Geotechnical Engineering, Engineer, Construction, Electrical, Geology, Engineering