Kiewit Corporation I&C Engineer- OGC Engineering in Houston, Texas
I&C Engineer- OGC Engineering
Date: Jul 10, 2019
Location: Houston, TX, US
Requisition ID: 78927
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service engineering firm serving oil, gas and chemical markets. Our combined staff of engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve the LNG, midstream, refining, and petrochemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing oil, gas and chemical team, which includes structural, civil, piping, mechanical, process, process safety, electrical, instrument and control disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the EPCC delivery model for dynamic process facilities.
We are an innovative team of engineers and designers that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff leads and collaborates with Kiewit’s module fabrication and construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
This position will be based out of our Energy Corridor office
• Performs complex calculations and applies standards correctly without supervision. Takes lead when works with peers.
• Reviews the work of engineers and designers developing engineering and design documents as needed for the project.
• Possesses critical analytical skills and is adept at utilizing good decision making tool; high level of data analysis skills.
• Regularly performs reviews of vendor documents to ensure specifications and data sheet requirements are met.
• Leads mid to large-size project or proposals.
• Develops and leads others in ways of improving the design and lowering cost.
• Considers multiple solutions and makes good decisions based on good data analysis.
• Manages several different assignments simultaneously.
• Applies techniques/technologies to improve processes and business results.
• Utilizes industry and company standards to design and engineer effectively.
• Serves as resource to less experienced engineers.
• Reviews application of standards for correct interpretations.
• Leads projects in how to interpret and apply codes and standards.
• Leads team to identify changes in the scope of work during mid to large-sized projects.
• Produces design changes as needed to stay within budget and schedule.
• Recognizes the importance of customer needs.
• Performs assigned work efficiently and effectively to maximize person productivity.
• Leads quality checks of the design and engineering of a mid to major-sized project to ensure accuracy.
• Establishes credibility in terms of technical competency and team leading ability.
• Prioritizes time to meet team commitments and individual work requirements.
• Contribute to the development of client proposals and project cost estimates.
• Maintain ongoing communication with client, making adjustments as necessary to comply with client needs within contractual obligations, or adjust project deliverables to meet client and Kiewit needs
• Communication design with: Controlnet, Devicenet, Profibus and Ethernet/IP
• Designing and developing new control systems
• Participate in customer witnessed FAT, SAT and other related Control System checkouts as needed
• Collaborate with department members and members of other departments to resolve job-related concerns as required.
• Field process evaluations
• Control Narratives
• Cause & Effect Charts
• Safety/Interlock Charts
• Familiarity with variety of control and safety systems (DCS, SIS, BMS, PLC, SCADA)
• Experienced in Field Instruments and Control Valve selection, calculation and detailed specifications
• Ability to participate in risk management review sessions (HAZOP, LOPA, SIL)
• Knowledge of applicable design standards covering Instrument & Control Design/Engineering such as API, NFPA, ISA, PIP, IEC, IEEE, ISO, NACE
• Experience with designing and supporting Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS), Safety Instrumented Functions (SIF), Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA), and High Integrity Pressure Protection Systems (HIPPS).
• Experience with designing and supporting telecom system, access control and PAGA.
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Chemical Engineering minimum required.
• 10-18 year minimum relevant experience in refining and petrochemical industry.
• Receives little to no instruction on routine work and detailed instruction on new assignment from more experienced engineer. Receives guidance on high risk or advanced conditions
• Can provides guidance to less experienced engineers.
• Adjusts to varying demands of work and performs well.
• Develops and presents work in well-constructed written and verbal presentations. Clearly conveys messages and ideas, gains understanding.
• Works collaboratively across departments and involves others in solving problems. Initiates meetings within own team, other disciplines or internal customers for clarity on work.
• Supports project teams and departments in a positive and productive manner. Works well with other to accomplish common goals and objectives.
• Serves as point of contact for external or internal customers.
• Follows through on commitments made to internal and external customers.
• Hands on experience in SmartPlant Instrumentation (SPI) to generate the Datasheets, Instrument index and I/O List
• Professional Engineer License (desirable)
• Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
• Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
• Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
• Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices. Protect employees and visitors by maintaining a safe and clean working environment
• Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
• Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Job Segment: Engineer, Telecom, Telecommunications, Construction, Electrical, Engineering, Technology