Kiewit Corporation Building Design Coordinator / Architect in Houston, Texas
Building Design Coordinator / Architect
Date: May 10, 2019
Location: Houston, TX, US
Requisition ID: 80190
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Consistently recognized as one of the best places to work in North America and in 2015, named one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from day one of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
• Building Architect / Building Design Coordinators work as part of project team overseeing the design of the buildings for the project. They are responsible for coordinating and collaborating with engineers, contractors, and government organizations for successful execution of the building design for the project preparation of estimates, and interpreting plans.
• Manage the Architectural, Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing and Structural design process, scope of the building design execution, budget & schedule using their commercial, contractual, program/time awareness, and technical expertise.
• Good understanding of various execution approaches including Design-Build and Design-Bid-Build. Note: A thorough understanding of the EPC (Engineer-Procure-Construct) execution approach is a bonus.
• Able to manage 3rd Party / Outside Consultant as needed.
• The ability to support, understand, and advise the client as to the requirements and his/her obligations in the development of a building design.
• Ensuring the design process recognizes current legislation, standards and codes of practice, where appropriate.
• Ensuring design information is of the right quality and manages schedule scope and budget. Help prepare and review full construction documents and ensure documents are in compliance with EPC requirements.
• Creating work schedules, ensuring that the project complies with regulations, which includes revising the project design as necessary to achieve client satisfaction.
• Provide technical bid analysis reviews during the bid period, determining practicality of designs and creating cost analysis reports. Accurate representation of the best interests of the overall project is a major aspect of the coordinator's duties.
• Become familiar and confident in understanding the work flow required to estimate, bid and construct buildings in an Engineer-Procure-Construct (EPC) environment for the power, oil, gas and chemical industry.
• Coordinate all building related design items including Architectural, MEP & Structural items requiring clarification from the Owner and/or Building Official / Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ).
• Checks and navigates in 3D models for interferences and constructability.
• Reviews and coordinates shop drawings during construction administration.
• Prepare conform to construction documents (2D drawings and 3D models) as required per the project contract.
• Understanding of Metal Building Structures for industrial projects a plus.
• Understanding of California and Canadian building codes a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree in architectural engineering, or construction management or equivalent experience (minimum).
• Six to Eight years of experience in preparing or reviewing design documents or equivalent construction management experience.
• Strong understanding of all phases of how building projects are executed from design to construction.
• Experience with EPC contracts or Design-Build types of projects a plus.
• Proficient in Revit, AutoCAD Architecture 2014, Microsoft Office applications and Navisworks.
• Licensed and has the ability to achieve licenses in Canada / Mexico (preferred but not required).
• Self-starter that can integrate and coordinate with various engineering and design disciplines.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Job Segment: Architecture, Engineer, Electrical, Compliance, Plumbing, Engineering, Legal, Manufacturing