Kiewit Corporation Project Welding Manager in Hannibal, Ohio
Project Welding Manager
Date: Jan 5, 2019
Location: Hannibal, OH, US
Requisition ID: 78445
Our mission is to make a difference and we offer opportunities for you to make one too through our construction operations. Whether we’re boring tunnels through mountains, turning rivers into energy or building bridges that connect communities, we depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety obsessed construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we offer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best” we offer fast-paced excitement and fulfillment you won’t find anywhere else
The Project Welding Manager (PWM) you will be located at a project location. As a PWM you will be responsible for the development, implementation, and management of a contract-specific welding program, and all other welding related functions on the project. You will be a member of the project quality team, and must be able to work with minimal supervision, interact professionally with the project team and Client personnel, have excellent written / verbal communication and conflict resolution skills, manage a diversified workload and challenging situations efficiently and effectively. The PWM is involved in the planning, training, and troubleshooting of all welding related operations.
Kiewit Power Constructors provides expertise across gas- and coal-fired power plants, coal retrofit, power delivery, renewables and nuclear plants. This diversity represents more than 120,000 megawatts of installed capacity, consistently ranking Kiewit among the top five power contractors in North America according to Engineering News-Record. Kiewit brings in-depth expertise to deliver power projects using EPC, design-build, design-assist and traditional bid-build delivery models.
This role will support some of the largest and most impressive power projects across the country. We are looking for employees that are looking for a long-term career vs a job. That being said, we need our employees to be open to relocation across the United States in order to support KPC’s dedication to providing power to keep the country running!
• Manage the development, implementation, and management of a contract-specific welding plan
• Develop site-specific welding standards, work instructions, training modules, welder expectations, and metrics and goals
• Focus on optimizing welding production and quality through development and evaluation of production, consumables, equipment, troubleshooting, planning, and training
• Manage Welder Performance Qualification program and ensure WPQ records are issued on the project. Determines appropriate testing methods for welder qualification tests. Train, rate, qualify, and certify welders to project requirements and specifications
• Participate in planning activities for all welding operations
• Assist project staff with identifying the correct weld procedures, heat treatment, NDE applications, and welders for each application. Ensure that only current weld procedures and correct welders are being used, while identifying potential areas for continuous improvement
• Track welder production, analyze, forecast welding productivity, and provide welding corrective actions for the project. Provide support to field staff to ensure productivity meets or exceeds expectations, without compromising the quality of the welds
• Manage and maintain the project welder continuity program to track welder continuity and performance
• Manage and maintain the project filler metal control program
• May perform other duties as assigned
• The ideal candidate will have a four-year engineering, science, or technical college degree OR an Associate Degree in Welding Technology (or Science) plus five (5) years of experience in a related construction field OR a high school graduate or equivalent (GED) plus ten (10) years of craft experience as a welder with at least five (5) of these years in a supervisory or management position.
• A thorough knowledge and understanding of all welding codes of construction, industry standard processes, procedures, practices, and contract / client specific requirements that affect projects in the power market, as well as the welding programs sponsored by each of the different local Building Trades (Boilermakers, Iron Workers, or Pipefitters) associated with the Power market.
• The ability to understand the project scope, schedule, and contractual requirements in order to develop and implement the project-specific welding program.
• Self-starter with organizational, managerial, and leadership skills. Must be able to manage small teams, have effective organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills.
• Strong public speaking and technical writing skills. Must be able to communicate to craft personnel as well as management and client teams
• Inspection certifications from AWS and / or ASNT are advantageous.
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments.
• Ability to relocate to project areas as required.
• Previous military experience preferred.
Commitment to Military Veterans:
Kiewit has a strong commitment to bring military veterans into the organization and this Project Welding Manager role is an ideal role to start, or continue your civilian careers. Veterans coming out of the military with a background in welding, strong leadership, attention to detail and the desire to continue to grow would be a great addition to the team.
Other common names for this role: Welding Engineer, Welding Coordinator, Welding Superintendent, Fabrication Supervisor, Welding Engineering Manager, Welding Services Manager
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Canton
Nearest Secondary Market: Akron
Job Segment: Welding, Pipefitter, Engineer, Manager, Nuclear Engineering, Manufacturing, Engineering, Management