Kiewit Corporation Senior Water Resources/ Drainage Engineer in Denver, Colorado
Senior Water Resources/ Drainage Engineer
Date: Jun 29, 2019
Location: Denver, CO, US
Requisition ID: 80084
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Infrastructure Design Department, which includes structural, geotechnical, civil, drainage, roadway, transit, and materials disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the design-build delivery of infrastructure projects.
We are an innovative team of design engineers that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff leads and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. Kiewit’s culture encourages training, developing your skills, and tailoring your experience and knowledge to allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
Kiewit has an immediate opening for a dynamic Hydraulics/Hydrology Engineer in our growing Hydraulics Group based in Englewood, CO. The Drainage Engineer will work on an interdisciplinary team including: geotechnical engineers, structural engineers, roadway engineers, estimators, schedulers and construction experts to perform engineering analysis and design in support of design-build pursuits and ongoing projects.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
The candidate will be part of teams responsible for completing engineering assignments in support of heavy civil construction for Kiewit Construction Companies’ business including drainage design, detailed hydrologic and hydraulic analysis (using various models and methods), and preparation of design plans, reports and technical memoranda. This will require a broad understanding from a national perspective of the following:
o Single-event and continuous rainfall modeling
o Watershed analysis, hydrograph and peak discharge development and routing
o Software experience includes: HEC1, HEC-HMS, SWMM/XP-SWMM, TR-55, SBUH and HSPF Method programs
o Pavement drainage, culverts, storm systems, pump stations, pressure pipe, bridge sizing and scour, sediment transport, revetment design, and coastal considerations for highway drainage
o Understanding of the various FHWA hydraulic engineering circulars and design series
o Flood analysis and knowledge of the NFIP including CLOMR and LOMRs
o Stormwater quantity / quality calculations, NPDES compliance and erosion control requirements
o Software experience includes: HY-8, Culvert Master, HEC-RAS, HEC-GEORAS, Storm CAD, Civil Storm, Pond Pack, Flow Master, 2D experience helpful such as SRH-2D
• Drainage Design
o Development of drainage plans, profiles, specifications and estimates for transportation and other water resources projects. This includes developing terrain and other design components via models such as Inroads, Arc-GIS and other pre and post processing software packages.
o Software experience includes: Micro Station, AutoCAD, Arc-GIS, Geopak and Inroads or similar 3D stormwater modeling preferred.
• BS or MS in Civil Engineering
• 11+ years post-graduate experience.
• Design experience or Design-Build project experience preferred
• Must have excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to work with individuals at all levels of the organization and support project efforts.
• The candidate will possess strong project management skills including: scope development, schedule management and earned value management.
• The candidate will lead plan production, specifications, estimate and drainage design development and will be responsible / in charge of engineering work and will be the Engineer of Record for final design projects.
• Must have P.E./P.Eng
• This position requires travel to project offices and work sites. Ability to travel 50% of the time.
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments.
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Denver
Job Segment: Hydraulics, Architecture, Construction, Engineer, GIS, Engineering, Technology