Kiewit Corporation Sr. Business Controller - Western Canada District in Burnaby, British Columbia
Sr. Business Controller - Western Canada District
Date: Nov 26, 2018
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
Requisition ID: 78268
Are you interested in helping manage multiple large scale construction projects? How about taking part in building a key team around you? If this is something that interests you, Kiewit is looking for individuals who can make a profound impact on our company culture every day!
The Sr. Business Controller is a role focused on supporting multiple projects ranging from $1 million to $4 billion in accounting and finance related functions. In many cases, Assistant Business Controllers are directly assigned to our largest ($200M+) and most important projects, serving as the CFO and trusted advisor to Operations Managers and Executive Management. The primary focus of this position includes: managing and developing careers of business team members, establishing trust and credibility with upper level management, and providing meaningful insight and accurate analysis to those same managers for decision making purposes. The Assistant Business Controller position also requires strong leadership skills, relentless ambition for continuous improvement, and polished technical and soft skills.
Kiewit’s Western Canada District is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia. We primarily perform heavy civil projects specializing in earth moving, transportation, roadways, bridges, water resources, and underground utilities.
We have projects across the United States and Canada, in large cities and small towns, so our people must be willing to go where the work is. This position will be based out of Burnaby, BC. You must be willing to travel up to 35% of the time.
• 5+ years of financial/data analysis experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, and/or an equivalent degree is require
• Strong working knowledge of accounting including: general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and tax
• Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel
• Effective communication (both oral and written), organization, and interpersonal skills
• Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills
• Ability to balance multiple tasks and responsibilities
• High level of professionalism and standards
• Managerial experience
• Must be able to freely access all parts of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments
• Travel and/or relocation may be required for this position (up to 35%)
• CPA, MBA, or public accounting experience preferred
• Financial or accounting experience in construction or engineering industry
• Knowledge of or familiarity with principal field business management systems: SAP, CMIS, PMIS and Prolog (P.O. and A/P)
• Proven track record of successfully developing or managing a team
• Analyzes and effectively communicates financial results of the project to upper level management
• Earns trust, credibility, and buy in of processes from Operations team to create better cohesion and clear communication within the organization
• Understands financial reporting - including the upstream effects of reporting to other areas of the organization
• Manages the division of responsibilities and communication between various project & home office departments
• Drives continuous improvement throughout the organization and is a proponent for positive change
• Effectively utilizes the right data, reports, and tools for risk analysis and benchmarking
• Reviews all project and estimate cash flows, contract terms, and change orders in detail for financial risks and opportunities
• Recognizes when and who to escalate specific conversations/issues
• Understands, substantiates, and reconciles all financial reports monthly and annually
• Creates an inviting workplace that motivates and challenges each team member to achieve career goals and strive for opportunities
• Understands the needs of the organization, aims to bring in high quality talent, and continually develops team members through critical conversations and performance reviews
• Monitors results of new processes, trouble-shoots failures and issues, and presents solutions to unsolicited problems
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Job Segment: Accounts Payable, Accounting, Engineer, ERP, Business Manager, Finance, Engineering, Technology, Management