Kiewit Corporation Senior Rail/Transit Engineer in Burnaby, British Columbia
Senior Rail/Transit Engineer
Date: Jul 5, 2019
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
Requisition ID: 79464
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Infrastructure Design Department, which includes structural, geotechnical, civil, drainage, roadway, rail, and materials disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the design-build delivery of infrastructure projects.
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineering Group’s Permanent Design Services is comprised of professional engineers and designers with expertise in the disciplines of structural, geotechnical, civil, hydraulics/drainage, rail, track, and materials (concrete and asphalt). Whether engaged in the short-term to resolve an immediate issue, in the medium-term to challenge and collaborate with outside design teams, or for the entire project as Engineer of Record (EOR), KIE’s engineering professionals work side-by-side with the Districts to optimize designs, identify and manage risk in cost, safety, quality, and schedule, and provide a unified, efficient approach to achieving project goals.
We are an in-house resource that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff shares experiences gained, innovative concepts, and design best practices for all projects that we support. Our participation leads to safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. We will train you, develop your skills, and allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers is seeking a Senior Rail/Transit Engineer to join our Permanent Design team in our growing offices in Laval (QC), Oakville (ONT) and Burnaby (BC). Responsibilities would include performing engineering and design services to prepare calculations, plans, and specifications for rail and transit related projects including elevated and underground stations and guideways for new and rehabilitation type projects. The successful candidate would be able to manage a subtask of a larger project or study in accordance with contractual requirements, as well as have responsibility for completing the technical engineering functions of the project including: coordination of technical disciplines, procurement of materials and equipment, and construction planning assistance.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
• Develop the scope of work for engineering tasks, design schedules and budgets for assigned project elements; monitor progress against schedule and budget requirements; and identify and document changes in scope
• Assist in determining the scope of work for procurement of materials and equipment, procurement schedules and budgets for assigned project buy outs; monitor progress to maintain those procurements; and interface with procurement and subcontract personnel to facilitate the bid process
• Coordinate work between engineers and other interdisciplinary technical personnel on the project
• Coordinate the assignment of personnel from other technical support groups within the company
• Assist in determining the technical skills and staff hours required for successful completion of the project
• Ensure client criteria and scope is met by all engineering disciplines
• Expedite distribution of action items following discussions/meetings with the client and Lead Engineer
• Prepare technical reports and documentation of activity for the client and project management
• Obtain, analyze, and circulate technical and contractual information to project disciplines
• Perform other responsibilities associated with this position as may be appropriate
• This position requires travel to project offices and work sites. Ability to travel 25% of the time.
• 11+ years' experience with focus on rail transit engineering
• Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or related engineering degree.
• Knowledge of current codes and industry standards including AREMA, TCRP, and AASHTO
• Professional Engineering License
• Proficient in developing CAD design models
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row
• Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between
• RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province’s guidelines
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
Job Segment: Hydraulics, Engineer, Construction, Consulting, Geology, Engineering, Technology