Kiewit Corporation Project Quality Manager - Western Canada District 1 in Burnaby, British Columbia
Project Quality Manager - Western Canada District 1
Date: Jun 8, 2019
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
Requisition ID: 79540
At Kiewit, we never stop raising the bar. Consistently focused on high quality production, we commit to excellence in all we do. We encourage new and innovative ideas with forward thinking. We build our work right the first time, delivering with a sense of urgency, the highest value to our clients. We are currently looking for a Quality Manager to help oversee our quality programs at a project level. As a key member of the Project Management Team you will be responsible for the projects quality performance. You will lead the implementation and continue overseeing the program throughout the project cycle, working closely with the various stakeholders (clients, leadership team etc.) to ensure Kiewit’s commitment to excellence.
Our mission is to make a difference and we offer opportunities for you to make one too through our construction operations. Whether we’re boring tunnels through mountains, turning rivers into energy or building bridges that connect communities, we depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-obsessed construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we offer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we offer fast-paced excitement and fulfillment you won’t find anywhere else.
Kiewit’s Western Canada District is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia. We primarily perform heavy civil projects specializing in earth moving, transportation, roadways, bridges, water resources, and underground utilities. We are looking for hard working individuals with a passion for construction who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty! Our current opportunities are spread across the entire west coast of Canada.
We currently have work all across the country in large cities and small towns, so our people must be willing to go where the work is. Job assignment location will be determined closer to your start date. Must be able to travel and relocate as business requires. Some of our current projects locations include, British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.
• Consult or negotiate with clients to prepare project specifications
• Generate project quality plans, inspection & test plans, and procedures
• Work closely with Construction Supervisors, Schedulers, Planners regarding development and implementation of the project quality system ensuring thorough understanding of the project scope and schedule
• Produce quality work, meeting requirements of plans, specifications and industry standards
• Have a thorough knowledge of the Projects Quality Management System, work instructions and procedures
• Ensure work is performed to established technical requirements defined by project documentation including drawings, specifications, procedures, inspection & test plans and work instructions
• Align quality control objectives with construction procedures to achieve product reliability and minimize cost
• Confer with supervisory personnel, owners, contractors, and design professionals to discuss and resolve matters such as work procedures, complaints, and construction problems
• Confer with vendors, staff, and management personnel regarding purchases, procedures, product specifications, manufacturing capabilities, and project status
• Generate quality reports and metric
• Evaluate data and write reports to validate or indicate deviations from existing standards
• Issue notice of non-conformances and stop-work orders, conferring with clients, , and quality personnel to document incidents, contract requirements, and recommend corrective actions.
• Read worker logs, as-builts, quality checklist, test reports and specification sheets, to verify that records adhere to contract specifications
• Determine staffing requirements, and interview, hire and train new employees
• Manage staff, preparing work schedules and assigning specific duties
• Execute personnel quality training
• Analyze operations to evaluate performance of a company and its staff in meeting objectives, and to determine areas of potential cost reduction, program improvement, or policy change
• Recommend modifications to existing quality or production standards to achieve optimum quality
• Assist other projects and regions as needed in the implementation of The Company’s Quality Program
• Construction Management, Civil Engineering or related degree
• 7+ years of experience in Quality Management on heavy civil construction projects
• Experience working in an ISO 9001 environment
• Proven background as a QA/QC Inspector in large scope projects
• Significant years of experience managing a team of several quality inspectors
• Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
• Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
• Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
• Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
• Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
• Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment
• Ability to travel and relocate as business requires
• Legally entitled to work in Canada
Other common names for this role: Quality Lead, QA/QC Manager
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2018 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 20,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built in to every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row
• Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between
• RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province’s guidelines
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
Job Segment: Quality Manager, Inspector, Engineer, QA, Quality, Engineering