Kiewit Corporation Project Engineer - Western Canada in Burnaby, British Columbia
Project Engineer - Western Canada
Date: Jul 21, 2019
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
Requisition ID: 79695
As a Project Engineer you will play an integral role on the construction project and be a driving force to ensure your project is complete on time, on budget and to the highest quality standards. You will be the liaison between the field, client and corporate office and utilize your years of experience to provide mentorship to the more junior engineers.
Our mission is to make a difference and we offer opportunities for you to make one too through our construction operations. Whether we’re boring tunnels through mountains, turning rivers into energy or building bridges that connect communities, we depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-obsessed construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we offer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we offer fast-paced excitement and fulfillment you won’t find anywhere else.
Kiewit’s Western Canada District is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia. We primarily perform heavy civil projects specializing in earth moving, transportation, roadways, bridges, water resources, and underground utilities. We are looking for hard working individuals with a passion for construction who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty! Our current opportunities are spread across the entire west coast of Canada.
We currently have work all across the country in large cities and small towns, so our people must be willing to go where the work is. Job assignment location will be determined closer to your start date. Must be able to travel and relocate as business requires. Some of our current projects locations include, British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.
• Develop complete understanding of project contract plans and specifications
• Examine/inspect field conditions and identify problems, inaccuracies, and cost saving measures that arise and take corrective actions as needed
• Inspect subordinates’ work for compliance with the contract plans and specifications, point out deficiencies and explain and take any corrective action needed
• Develop and maintain the project master schedule using appropriate techniques and scheduling software with input from other project management personnel
• Manage document control; receive and log in new issue drawings and other contract documents; maintain document control log
• Review new issue drawings and contract documents for change of conditions; quantify impact of changes and review with supervisor; distribute new issues to field
• Prepare monthly cost projections using information generated from project management systems and prepare quarterly cash flow projections
• Improve project operations by recommending, as appropriate, better methods, staffing and procedural changes
• Manage and support project team including direct reports and others as needed
• Help drive the company environmental health and safety programs at the project level, driving a safety-oriented approach to work
• Any other duties as requested by supervisor
• Bachelor’s degree in a construction-related field or equivalent experience and education in project or field engineering
• 5+ years’ experience in construction or engineering field within the infrastructure/Heavy Civil industry
• Working knowledge and ability to direct the operation of at least the following management systems: scheduling, materials control, estimating, job cost updates and subcontract management
• Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
• Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
• Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
• Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
• Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
• Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment and move up objects up to 30 pounds
• Ability to travel and relocate as business requires
• Legally entitled to work in Canada
Other common names for this role: Senior Engineer, Construction Engineer
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2018 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 20,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built in to every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row
• Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between
• RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province’s guidelines
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
Job Segment: Project Engineer, Construction, Engineer, Construction Engineer, Field Engineer, Engineering