Kiewit Corporation Drainage Designer (Mid Level) in Burnaby, British Columbia
Drainage Designer (Mid Level)
Date: Jan 8, 2019
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
Requisition ID: 76986
Our rapidly growing Denver-based Infrastructure Permanent Design Department is comprised of professional engineers and designers with expertise in civil, roadway, drainage/hydraulics, structural, geotechnical, roadway, transit, and materials disciplines. This team has best-in-class technical expertise and is focused on the design-build delivery of Kiewit’s infrastructure projects.
Our involvement in projects varies from partnering with outside firms to leading design as the engineer of record, but our mission remains unchanged: collaborate with Kiewit’s construction teams and bring a construction-driven engineering focus to produce safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that exceed client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. Kiewit’s culture of training and skills development will prepare you to take on projects that impact millions across North America.
KIE has an immediate opening for a dynamic Mid-Level CAD designer in our growing Hydraulics / Drainage Design Group in our growing offices in Laval (QC), Oakville (ONT) and Burnaby (BC). We are looking for the ideal candidate to perform a variety of design and CADD production tasks for infrastructure projects including: highway, rail, bridge, mining, power and dam projects and miscellaneous support for construction. The CAD Designer should have at least 5 years’ experience in engineering plan production, be familiar with current technical tools/programs/software, and CAD production practices.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
The candidate will be part of a design team responsible for completing engineering assignments in support of heavy civil construction for Kiewit Construction Companies’ business including drainage design, preparation of design plans, reports and technical memoranda. Key responsibilities include the following:
• In office work primarily
• Work with engineering team in developing preliminary and final design plans and details.
• Participate in design reviews to evaluate design concepts and make recommendations
• Use Micro Station, AutoCAD, Arc-GIS, Geopak and Inroads 3Dmodeling software
• Produce documents with MS Office; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
• Follow various DOT Standards and work with companies’ CAD Standards when applicable
• Development of drainage plans, profiles, specifications and estimates for transportation and other water resources projects.
• Associate or Bachelors Degree preferred
• 5 - 10 years’ experience in CAD production of highway and civil designs
• Design-Build or Design project experience a plus
• General knowledge of engineering principles and materials for highway / civil and other infrastructure work
• Read and understand construction documents
• Knowledge in Micro Station and Inroads
• Drainage design experience a plus
• Basic skills in Microsoft Office products (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)
• The ability to clearly communicate and collaborate well with Engineers, Designers and Constructors
• Critical thinking skills necessary with the ability to plan ahead and conceptualize.
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row
• Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between
• RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province’s guidelines
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
Job Segment: Hydraulics, Engineer, CAD, Drafting, Transportation, Engineering