Kiewit Corporation Entry Level Business Specialist- Cherne in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Date: Jun 9, 2017
Location: Minneapolis, MN, US
Requisition ID: 66083
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Consistently recognized as one of the best places to work in North America and in 2015, named one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from day one of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Cherne Contracting is a union only, heavy industrial contractor, whose heritage is that of a mechanical contractor. Through decades of performing construction projects, we have developed multidiscipline capabilities which allow us to now offer a full spectrum of self-performed construction services in equipment, civil/structural, electrical, instrumentation and insulation work, in addition to the core mechanical services. As a full service general contractor, we typically self-perform 90% or more of the work, using direct hire union craft. We subcontract specialty activities including architectural, painting, fireproofing, radiography, and refractory. Our experience includes mining, paper, and a variety of other industrial construction projects, but in recent years our focus has been mainly in the petrochemical and power industries with project sizes ranging from $5 million to well over $200 million in construction value. We have successfully completed hundreds of construction projects across the United States.
This position will be part of the Business Management team and will need to possess the skills to manage a fast-paced construction environment. Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, transactional accounting, customer relations, cost management and reporting. The ideal candidate must be able to meet deadlines and contribute to a positive, safe, high-quality culture. The construction industry is a fast-paced environment that requires strong communication, decision-making and problem-solving skills.
We have projects all across the United States, in large cities and small towns, so our people must be willing to go where the work is. Job assignment location will be determined approximately 30 days out from start date.
• Responsible and accountable for the management of all business aspects of an assigned project
• High level of involvement in the operations of our cost control system and analysis of construction costs
• Troubleshoot job conditions, accounting, financial projections, payroll, purchasing, taxes, and managing subcontracts
• Take part in forecasting revenue and costs
• Insure documentation is complete in supporting subcontracts, material contracts and owner progress estimates including bonding, insurance and lien releases
• Employment/ Human Resources activities such as onboarding, administration of drug tests, etc
• Work alongside business office personnel and field accounting staff including, office managers, reception, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and other office functions at the field site and/or project level
• Assignment may be in the field or office
• Degree in accounting, business, economics, finance or a closely related field
• At least one internship, co-op or other relevant experience preferred
• Must be willing to relocate for first assignment and throughout career as we operate on a national scale not a regional one
• Knowledge of or familiarity with principal field business management systems a plus: SAP, CMIS, PMIS and Prolog (P.O. and A/P)
• Must possess knowledge of basic accounting functions
• Must possess knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
• Good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies
• Must possess strong organizational and time management skills
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Effective presentation skills
• Works independently as well as part of a team
• Must be a self-starter willing to do what it takes to get the job done
• Must be able to access all parts of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments
• Knowledge of construction safety and current federal & OSHA requirements is preferred
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Minneapolis
Job Segment: Accounts Payable, Payroll, Engineer, Electrical, Finance, Entry Level, Engineering