Kiewit Corporation Entry Level SQL Developer in Lenexa, Kansas
Date: Sep 12, 2017
Location: Lenexa, KS, US
Requisition ID: 68268
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Consistently recognized as one of the best places to work in North America and in 2015, named one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from day one of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Seeking entry and intermediate-level SQL Developers to create and optimize database queries to improve efficiency and effectiveness of Kiewit Power’s Estimating and Project Controls departments. Candidate will work with senior SQL Developers and Database Administrators to develop database queries and triggers, create table indexes and stored procedures, and work with business analysts to create user interfaces and return data sets for frontend reporting. Work with internal clients to understand business needs, and translate operational analytic and reporting requirements into technical solutions; design, build, implement, and maintain those technical solutions. Candidate will aggregate data from multiple sources into an efficient reporting mechanism through relational database design and development, and extract-transform-load (ETL) development. Candidate will design and implement data models using SQL Server, which may include SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), and MS Access, to meet business analysis and reporting requirements.
• Determine what data must be returned to the application and write queries for it.
• Determine the right stored procedures, views, and functions for the application.
• Optimize existing queries to speed up performance.
• Create and design tables when new modules are added to an application.
• Review current database design and make suggestions for better performance.
• Create table indexes that optimize query speeds.
• Define triggers on necessary tables.
• Collaborate with business analysts and other developers on the efficient use of Microsoft data tools and data visualization tools, such as Tableau.
• ETL development - Extract data from multiple sources; Transform data to fit operational needs; Load data into the target database for use by analytics and reporting tools.
• Help convert existing reporting tools and processes to a standardized reporting infrastructure.
• Troubleshoot database and reporting tools, systems, and software.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Information Technology or Engineering; or equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience.
• Working knowledge of the Microsoft SQL Server 2008/2012 suite including SQL Server Relational Database Management System.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Access.
• Skilled in coding, troubleshooting, debugging, and relational and dimensional data modeling.
• Strong understanding of relational database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
• Good understanding of Information Technology infrastructure (networking, servers, application architecture, databases).
• Fast-learner with ability to help architect and implement database solutions “on the fly.”
• Self-starter with a high degree of self-management and commitment to delivery timelines.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills.
• Proficient in VBA.
• Experience with MS Office 365 Power Apps or other application development.
• Experience in database development, data architecting, data analytics, or related experience.
• Database backup and recovery experience.
• Certifications in SQL Server and Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE).
• Experience with SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS).
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Database, SQL, Developer, Engineer, Entry Level, Technology, Engineering