Kiewit Corporation Fire Protection Engineer in Kansas
Date: Jun 14, 2017
Location: KS, US
Requisition ID: 64661
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Consistently recognized as one of the best places to work in North America and in 2015, named one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from day one of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Bachelor’s degree in fire protection engineering or engineering technology from an accredited school or a minimum of two years fire protection engineering related experience if possessing a degree outside of fire protection. EIT or PE in fire protection engineering, or intent to obtain, is preferred.
• Provide fire protection design for industrial facilities, primarily electric power generation facilities.
• Perform fire hazard analysis for the site to determine hazards and appropriate active and passive fire protection schemes.
• Review building and fire code requirements (primarily IBC/IFC), NFPA standards, and other codes, standards, and loss prevention guidelines as applicable to each project.
• Generate hydraulic calculations to size fire pumps , underground firewater piping, and required water supply volumes.
• Review vendor suppression and fire alarm/detection system plans and calculations.
• Review fire barrier and penetration seal requirements for specific hazards.
• Review electrical hazardous classification and hazardous materials for specific hazards.
• Perform life safety reviews for buildings and industrial equipment structures and platforms.
• Develop specifications and award contracts to fire protection contractors to furnish and install fire alarm systems, water-based suppression systems, gaseous suppression systems, underground fire mains, and fire pumps.
• Provide technical fire protection based assistance throughout the construction and close-out phases of projects.
• Familiarity with Building and Fire Codes.
• Familiarity with NFPA 13 and 72. Knowledge of NFPA 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 20, 22, 24, 30, 101, 850, and 2001 is highly desired.
• Knowledge of Factory Mutual Datasheets.
• Knowledge of Fire Protection Hydraulic Calculations and Fire Pump Design and operation.
• Capable of utilizing Microsoft Word, and Excel.
• Good communication skills. Ability to write well and interact with multiple disciplines.
• Ability to articulate detailed code analysis to clients, Authorities Having Jurisdiction, and project team members
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Job Segment: Construction, Hydraulics, Electrical, Engineer, Supply, Engineering, Operations