Kiewit Corporation Project Manager in Detroit, Michigan
Date: Sep 23, 2017
Location: Detroit, MI, US
Requisition ID: 68701
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Consistently recognized as one of the best places to work in North America and in 2015, named one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from day one of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
The Project Manager will support the establishment and growth of a new office to serve the region’s current and expanding client base. This is an opportunity for the right person to build your own team, help establish a local culture and practices for this entrepreneurial firm, engage and serve clients on large and smaller projects, while maintaining the highest quality and service standards for which Kiewit is known.
The Project Manager position will impact the success of Kiewit in the region by balancing multiple competing priorities for large complex projects or across many diverse smaller projects. These priorities include: managing client expectations; meeting each project’s scope requirements within budgeted time and resources; managing project scope for Kiewit efficiently while increasing the value of what Kiewit delivers to each client; managing a diverse, project based workforce; managing time effectively; training staff on each job; modeling proper behavior with clients and in all other work environments; making effective work assignments at the right staff level; and finally pursuing additional clients and work through scope additions on current projects, duplicating current project work on other projects or for other clients, finding new work at this client, finding new work at other clients.
The successful PM may earn additional resources with which to further develop projects and clients in the region to grow the office and their responsibility; promotional opportunities throughout the organization; as well as potential ownership for outstanding results.
Identifying new work, proposing successfully, delivering projects that grow KEG Inc. in dollars earned and in staff capability are the core responsibilities of the Project Manager.
This role requires great flexibility to react to issues outside of the control of the position, while demonstrating an ongoing ability to:
• Delegate work effectively and efficiently
• Coordinate resource needs with the Director of Operations
• Deal with ambiguity and remain focused on successful project execution
• Manage many varied personalities on the work team and at the client
• Communication clearly and consistently with appropriate documentation
• Communicate effectively with Clients at all levels, always looking for additional work
• Consistently balance contractual obligations with Client satisfying behavior
Each Project Manager must be self-motivated, results oriented and must constantly coach in order to maximize current work value while growing long term KEG Inc. intellectual and execution capability in developing team members.
• Building industry relationships through the pursuit, development and delivery of successful projects
• Team leadership skills that grow staff capability and deliver results
• Becoming the ongoing face of Kiewit to multiple clients through successful projects
• Pursuing, winning and delivering profitable client assignments in engineering services and detailed design
• 25-35% Travel/Work away from KEG Inc. offices with clients on projects
• 10-20% Time in intense project pursuit/client response development at Kiewit or at Client site
Minimum requirements :
• A minimum 10 years’ experience managing projects related to power industry
• Civil/Structural, Mechanical, or Electrical engineering degree
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Detroit
Job Segment: Engineer, Electrical, Project Manager, Manager, Electrical Engineering, Engineering, Technology, Management