Kiewit Corporation Geotechnical Design Engineer in Denver, Colorado
Date: May 19, 2017
Location: Denver, CO, US
Requisition ID: 65621
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Consistently recognized as one of the best places to work in North America and in 2015, named one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from day one of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit Engineering has an immediate opening in its Denver office for a Geotechnical Design Engineer.
As an essential member of our engineering group, this position will carry out engineering design services. The Geotechnical Engineer position is responsible for engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation business. This will require knowledge of geotechnical engineering, rock mechanics and geotechnical design associated with building, mining, power, water/wastewater, and heavy civil construction. The Geotechnical Engineer will work on an interdisciplinary team including structural engineers, roadway engineers, drainage engineers, material engineers, estimators, schedulers and construction experts to perform engineering analysis and design. Our geotechnical engineers support project pursuits, awarded projects, design build projects, and construction engineering. The Geotechnical Engineer will be responsible for overseeing the production and/or review of engineering reports, geotechnical analysis, and directing the work of staff level geotechnical engineers.
This position requires travel to project offices and work sites, with periodic field assignments.
• Will provide geotechnical support during the bid phase development of innovative and cost-effective design.
• Will work with the pursuit team during the bid phase to help identify key geotechnical risks and develop plans to mitigate risks.
• Will work with the interdisciplinary engineering team and the design subcontractors to ensure the most cost effective design is developed.
• Will provide geotechnical support during construction for temporary structures required to build the work.
• Support the geotechnical team’s efforts to develop and train junior engineers.
• Perform calculations, finite element modeling, and geotechnical designs as well as ensure accuracy of the design drawings.
• Master of Science or greater preferred.
• 10+ years of relevant geotechnical engineering experience.
• Registration as a Professional Engineer in the U.S. and/or Canada.
• Strong all-around academic knowledge of geotechnical engineering.
• Experience with support of excavation, earth retention, slope stability, rock mechanics, ground improvement, soft soils, deep foundations, shallow foundations, dewatering, mining, and/or dam design is an asset.
• Experience working in a team setting and directing the work of others.
• Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
• Strong people skills and an ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
• The physical ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environmental conditions.
• Ability to travel to project sites and/or relocate based on business needs.
• Working knowledge of geotechnical design software SlopeW, SeepW, Plaxis, FLAC, Lpile, Group, Settle3D, RocScience, and other analytical programs is a plus.
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Denver
Job Segment: Geotechnical Engineering, Construction, Geology, Engineer, Transportation, Engineering