Kiewit Corporation Structural Fabrication Engineer in Calgary, Alberta
Date: May 16, 2017
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Requisition ID: 65502
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row
• Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between
• RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province’s guidelines
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
The Structures Fabrication Field Review Engineer – is a senior project quality management position responsible to ensure that the fabrication of steel girders, bearings, pre-stressed concrete girders, bearings, and overhead signs conform to the detailed designs and technical requirements for provincial highway bridge design for the Calgary Ring Road Project in Alberta. This position will be required to manage independent inspectors for welding and non-destructive testing, to visit and review vendor fabrication facilities, approve quality management plans, test reports, and certify that the fabrication has been completed in accordance with applicable standards and contract requirements. This position will be based in Calgary with frequent travel required to the fabrication facilities primarily in Canada. We require a Professional Civil Engineer, registered in Alberta, with minimum 5 years structures fabrication experience. Excellent communication skills, ability to work independently, and direct fabrication/welding/testing experience is beneficial. Those with CISC or other relevant fabrication certificated are preferred.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Review quality records, test reports, and certify fabrication of various components of bridges.
• Communicate and collaborate with Designers, Quality Field Inspectors, Weld Inpsectors, Non-Destructive testers, Fabricators and Owner Representatives to evaluate design and fabrication details and resolve non conformances.
• Advise on constructability issues.
• Utilize knowledge of departmental design standards and applicable engineering codes to review design/shop drawings and documents for conformance, and work with fabricators to ensure quality procedures are followed.
• Verify that the fabrication conforms to the detailed designs and technical requirements, and is suitable for construction.
• Utilize basic civil engineering software packages and computer aided drafting software in accordance with industry codes and standards.
• Provide recommendations and suggestions on designs as well as processes and standards.
• Understand and appropriately apply project technical criteria and requirements related to steel girder, pre-stressed concrete girder, bearing, and/or guide sign fabrication.
• Perform other duties as assigned by Project Quality Manager as needed;
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering
• Professional Engineering designation in Alberta
• Minimum 5 years of experience directly related to bridge structure fabrication
• Preference will be given to those candidates with experience in fabrication and holders of recognized related quality certificates
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Adaptable, with a willingness to take on a wide range of assignments and tasks;
• A committed team player and self-starter with a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
• Valid passport and ability to travel outside of Canada is required
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
Job Segment: Construction, Fabrication, Engineer, Welding, Drafting, Engineering, Manufacturing